Style

Taylor swift-inspired Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Roaring crowds and flashing lights fill the room.. The spotlight shines on the centerstage and Taylor Swift walks out. Taylor has sold out stadiums, becoming number one on the billboard hits multiple times in a row. Who wouldn’t want to dress as this famous popstar? With her many unique albums and songs there are many different ways to dress as Taylor Swift this halloween!

FEARLESS 

The ups and downs of being a teenager, your first kiss, first date, and first crush. This is what Taylor’s album fearless is all about. As a naïve teenager, you have lots of hope for the future; she speaks through her songs about stepping into adulthood and growing up. This costume calls for a whimsical and carefree look like a fringed or flowy mini dress paired with fun earrings and sneakers. These playful styles represent how free and easy life was before it was time to grow up. This costume should also include lots of sparkle!

SPEAK NOW

This album is all about coming out of your shell and being able to speak up for yourself. It is about finding your voice and being able to share it with the world- just like Taylor had become more confident and knowledgeable about herself and her choices. Though she gets knocked down, she can get back up. As a Speak Now outfit, you must go with the classic purple mini dress to represent her album cover and pair it with lots of silver and outgoing jewelry. This era is all about becoming your own person, so be sure to add something that represents yourself!

RED

Heartbreak, betrayal, deceit: burning flames of red. This album is all about Taylor’s heartbreaks– her life falling apart and feeling helpless/alone. Taylor translates this pain of heartbreak she’s faced beautifully into her music, creating songs many teenage girls can relate to. For this outfit, it is smart to copy the album cover and go with a beret or red cap and a trench coat. To keep things simpler a red mini skirt or dress would do, paired with black boots and other dark neutral tones.

REPUTATION

The reputation era is all about bouncing back. This sequel to the red album represents sadness turned to anger. It is about becoming more confident and learning from your mistakes. This music has an edgier vibe and more of a bad-girl aesthetic. For this look,  best to go with an all-black ensemble and dark-colored makeup. You can also add some fun accessories like black gloves or fishnets to complete the look. It is important to truly learn to be confident in your own skin. Taylor’s lyrics emphasize this and black tends to be a more confident color.

LOVER

The lover era is all about learning to love one another for who they are. It celebrates LGBTQ+ rights and how important it is to love unconditionally and without judgment. This album has an extremely positive attitude and focuses on self-growth and gaining self-love. This costume calls for many light pastel colors to represent happiness and lightheartedness. These colors paired with colorful makeup would make the perfect lover look!

FOLKLORE/EVERMORE 

Taylor’s most recent two albums go together as she explores an indie style of music. They emphasize the struggles of loving yourself and how lonely it can feel when you do not know how to. Outfits that reflect this album would be darker colors and heavier clothing like sweaters or cardigans. This album is very cottage-core, meaning it emphasizes rural life and rural living. This idea has become a fashion aesthetic and often calls for flannels, braids, beanies, and lots of plaid which will help complete the look.

MIDNIGHTS 

As of last week, Taylor released a new album called midnights. After one day, it received the most streams on Spotify of any album ever created. Midnights goes through the ups and downs of being in a relationship and the fact that you can’t really love someone else unless you truly love yourself. A costume that would go with this would be a navy dress or set to highlight the night sky. It would also include some sort of stars/moon accessories to add to the midnights theme. You also should wear white boots and fun makeup that further emphasize the night sky.

Jordan Fine

Maryland '26

Hi! my name is Jordan Fine and I am a freshman here at the University of Maryland. I am from Rochester NY and I am majoring in Journalism. The idea for writing for a magazine/newspaper has always been something I want to do. I love HER magazine because it covers a variety of unique and interesting topics about the community, lifestyles, and current events. I love shopping and exploring new styles and new stores. I also love the outdoors and spending time by the beach or lake or pretty much any body of water! I am extremely passionate about current events and pressing issues regarding our community and I hope to get involved and try and help our community!