This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Senior criminal justice and economics major Tamara Adams is a jack of all trades. She’s a cheerleading camp instructor, president of the Black Student Union and hopefully the next Miss Unity.

The Miss Unity Scholarship Pageant started in 1979 as a way to bring together cultures and student groups on campus. Adams is no amateur to the pageant scene; she helped organize the Black Student Union’s Scholarship Pageant.

Here’s some more about Adams!

Q: Who is your celeb role model?

A: Beyoncé of course. Beyoncé inspires me because of her humility, grace and work ethic. I aspire to remain as humble as Beyoncé the day I acquire success. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about being president of the Black Student Union?

A: My favorite thing about being the president of the Black Student Union is the ability to make events happen that benefit the public and to speak out about the current social climate and how it affects people of color. 

Q: What’s a Fun Fact about you?

A: Senior year of high school I had the ability to sing at Carnegie Hall in New York City.

Q: What’s keeps you motivated?

A: My faith keeps me motivated at all times. Being able to lean on hope and know that despite all current circumstances things will get better and my end goals will be accomplished. 

Q: What is the best part of putting together a pageant at UMD?

A: The best part of putting together the BSU Scholarship Pageant was being able to relieve two students of financial hardships, allowing them to continue their education at the flagship University of Maryland. 

Q: 3 things you can’t live without. 

A: My phone. My family. My laptop.

Catch the Miss Unity Scholarship Pageant Nov.12, 5:30 p.m. at Hoff Theatre in Stamp!

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.