Talking with a Transfer: Profile of Shelby Welty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Name: Shelby Welty

Hometown: Potomac, Maryland

Class: 2018

Major: Communications, with a minor in global poverty

What are you involved with on campus?

I am a football public relations intern, my tasks involve working with recruits on game days, and am a member of Delta Delta Delta.

What is it like to intern with the football team as a woman?

Being an intern for the football team can sometimes be intimidating but overall the coaches and staff make sure we all feel as comfortable as possible. A lot of what goes into picking our top recruits is how they treat the staff and the respect they have for them. I’m not only there to convince them that UMd would be a great choice for them I’m there to see who they are as a person. If we ever feel uncomfortable, my bosses address the situation right away.

How does interning for a sports team affect your school spirit?

It makes you realize how much effort goes into the football team. The coaches and staff work their tails off so much for the team and players. It’s really a big family there and I’m blessed to be apart of it. It makes me so proud to go to Maryland and be apart of something bigger than myself.

You spent your first year at Montgomery college, how was your experience transferring?

Transferring was pretty scary for me, I don’t like change but I had friends who helped me along with the process and the support from my family made it an easy transition. Once I got involved in school it made it a lot more enjoyable. The one thing that I loved about transferring here was all the new and different individuals I’ve been able to meet. Listening to other people’s stories and hearing their perspectives on life is something I’ve learned to love. There’s so many inspiring people on campus and it made me feel really grateful to be a part of this school.

Why did you decide to come to the University of Maryland?

I always knew that I wanted to attend UMd but I have five siblings so I knew that it was going to be hard on my parents, financially. Spending a year at Montgomery was just a gateway because since it is a Maryland school as well, my courses transferred over super easily.

Is UMD living up to your expectations?

Yes! I currently live in my sorority house and last year I lived in the dorms, even though I wasn’t technically a freshman. It has been great to live in both of those places because you really get to meet a ton of people, it’s a very social experience which has been one of my favorite aspects I didn’t get at Montgomery. My class work is challenging, which I love, and I always feel like I am learning and growing. (Going out to Bents and Cornerstone is always fun too.)  

So now that you’re at UMD,where is your favorite spot on campus?

Mckeldin mall’s fountain on a sunny day.

Where on campus is your favorite study spot?

Definitely 4th floor Mckeldin library in the silent room.

What is the best class you’ve taken?

Religion and politics, interesting class and amazing professor (that makes all the difference).

What department is it in?

Government and Politics.

Why did you take this course?

Last year I was just looking for a fun elective that seemed interesting to me and that is how I found the course.

For some more fun questions, what is your favorite restaurant in College Park?

It is 100% Bus Boys and Poets.

So,  what do you like to do in your free time?

I love watching Nextflix – my favorite shows right now are Jane the Virgin and How I Met Your Mother. I also like watching different comedy and beauty YouTube channels like Shawn Dawson and Carli Bybel.

How would you describe yourself in 5 words?

Kind, fun-loving, goal-oriented-individual (does that last one count to make five?)

What do you plan to do over break?

I plan to eat a lot and relax. I think it’s so important to just forget about school for a little and spend quality time with my family

What’s your favorite part of the upcoming holidays?

Being with my extended family I don’t get to see that often, there’s a lot of them and their families are always growing so I love playing with my baby cousins.

Looking further into the future, what do you plan on doing after graduation?

After graduation I plan on staying in the DC area to pursue a career in PR, either a radio station, or some type of junior publicist job.

How will your education prepare you for these plans?

Being a communication major is preparing me by helping me with my verbal communication skills and writing skills as well.  Classes like public speaking have really helped me with presenting projects and communicating in interviews.

And finally, who are your fav female role models?

My favorite role model is my mom for being such a kind soul. I aspire to gain the love she has for others. In today’s society it’s hard to stay grounded and remember to treat others the way you would want to be treated but she helps me do that everyday.

Junior writer for the University of Maryland. Roll Terps!
My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.