Tackle the Trend: How to Rock Pleather Pants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Rocking (P)leather Pants

One of my biggest pet peevs is when people like a style but refuse to even try it out just because they think they “can’t pull it off.” You define you, and as long as you have the confidence to try something new, you can pretty much rock anything you want.

When people hear the words “leather pants,” there are most likely a few things that immediately come to mind: Michael Jackson, the 80s, tackiness, or how about Britney Spears in her red leather jumpsuit in her “Toxic” music video? These all may be reasonable thoughts, but what if I told you there are countless ways to actually make this crazy material work for everyday attire? I’ve rummaged through my own closet and come up with a few looks that I feel are wearable. Don’t be surprised if you see me decked out in all five of these looks this semester. I’ve picked out my outfits for several unknown future events in hardly any time at all!

1. Relaxed/Boho

Instead of throwing on the usual black legging, why not add something different to your earthy look? I personally think some shine makes for a more chic outfit.

1. Get Girly

Try pairing your lacey crop with high-wasted pleather pants, simple heels and colorful earrings. Mixing hard and soft always makes for an interesting outfit.

1. Simple With An Edge

How often have you thrown on a white tank or tee with cotton leggings? For a more exciting or edgy look…pleather!

1. Cozy & Quirky

Once again, switch out your cotton leggings for some shine. An oversized textured sweater with sleek pants makes for a unique contrast.

1. Pops of Color

All black with pops of color, aka: well put together but lots of fun. The pants just add that shine once again and and make the outfit more exciting.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.