Street Style at Fashion Week 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

While we proceed to slump in our desks and watch chalkboards fill up with terms and definitions to add to the list of things to study, fashion enthusiasts sit poised as they watch works of art strut down the runways before them. It’s fashion week. February’s lineup of fall collection unveilings began with a week in New York City, followed by weeks in London, Milan and Paris.

Though the runways are modeling trends for the fall season that’s months and months away, the streets are modeling trends that are fresh for the spring season that’s around the corner. While many of these fashionistas run from show to show, they are promised to be in the most stylish behavior!

Though the cold was still biting in New York City, show-goers were rocking a lot of outfits that will trend through spring as well. “Statement-making pants work best with a pared down top,” according to Harper’s Bazaar.

Many women have been photographed in brightly colored denim, printed skinnies, and high-waisted trousers. These loud pants are often seen paired with a mellow top to keep the drama at a happy medium. Being someone with a closet full of ‘jeggings’ ranging from red to teal, I am excited that this trend is picking up for spring!

In London, fashion enthusiasts have taken particular interest in prints. “Mixing and matching is happening everywhere, from a colorful graphic geometric sweater worn over a motorcycle jacket and gray baroque motif knit, to pants splashed with rainbow scales over a pair of mixed snakeskin heels” according to Vogue.

There is no better season than spring to play with these vibrant, busy combos. London Fashion Week show-goers took full advantage of this opportunity to pull out their most aggressive prints and layer them on top of one another. Though I think this look can be quite chaotic at times, it can also be the most captivating!

Paris Fashion Week marked seven days of accessory overload. Large clutches have been found under the arms of these stylish show attendees. Sometimes the clutches serve to subdue a bright and busy outfit, while others serve as a necessary pop of color. No matter what their purpose, these clutches are a definite trend that will be going nowhere anytime soon.

Belts are also here to stay this season.  Many streetwalkers have been seen using thin belts to accentuate skinny waists under puffy jackets. “A belted metallic ombré jacket can add just the right amount of sheen to a feminine ensemble,” according to FabSugar.com. Thick belts were also spotted over high-waisted shorts and skirts. This simple touch gives a plain outfit some sophistication.

It seems to me that the trends on the streets are just as exciting as the trends on the runways during Fashion Week. As far as the actual collections that graced the runways, much can be said. But that’s for another article, to be address when the fall season does finally arrive again. For now, we’ll stick to the vibrant colors, over-the-top prints, and dramatic accessories!