From Sneakers to Sperry’s: Greek Life Style Changes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

On the University of Maryland campus, there are 22 fraternities, 15 sororities, 8 National Panhellenic council chapters, and 11 United Greek Council chapters. Something common throughout all chapters of Greek Life, however, is that they inevitably all have their own style. As research around campus confirms, some members have even changed their clothing style to adapt to those common in their chapter.

Tyler Margolis, a senior kinesiology major in Alpha Epsilon Pi, agrees with the idea that being in a frat influenced the way he dresses. “This is definitely true,” Margolis says, “I didn’t wear v-necks at all before joining a frat, so that was the biggest change for me. Now I wear v-necks, Sperry’s and Timberlands. They’re all really popular in my frat and I didn’t wear much of any of them before joining”.

According to FratHumor.com’s article “How to Dress Like a Frat Guy”, there are certain staples of clothing that are key for dressing like a “frat star”. In terms of footwear, it’s boat shoes like Sperry’s that are a must. Boat shoes are great for either the warm or cold weathers, but you need footwear for each season, too; Timberlands for the winter, for example, and nice flip-flops for the summer. Shorts/pants are another important piece necessary to be the perfect frat guy. Khaki shorts or athletic shorts are the best way to go for the summer. For nighttime or winter, it’s nice dark jeans or chords, which are essentially a warmer version of khakis. Finally, the button down shirt is the key nighttime attire. If you’re going to be a bit more casual, v-necks, sweaters, or jerseys will do. Day parties are an exception though as it is almost necessary to wear your favorite frat or sorority tank.

Not only is this influence true for frat guys, but for sorority girls as well. Vicky Shi, a sophomore communication major in Delta Gamma, had similar experiences. Delta Gamma’s symbol is the anchor and she told me about how much this symbol has recently been reflected in her style. “I definitely have a lot more anchor and nautical clothes, and all-around I’ve gotten a lot preppier. I love wearing pocket tees and pastels now, which I never wore before!” says Vicky. Showing off the anchor in everyday wear shows how passionate she is about her sorority. Not to mention nautical style is super fun and stylish too!

It is never mandatory for a frat guy or sorority girl to change their personal style to fit with their new chapter, but it seems many find themselves changing their style at least a little. Why do they feel the need to do so? According to Tyler, “It’s because of peer pressure. I just feel that when you’re surrounded by people all wearing something similar you try and fit in by doing the same.” Some may say there are certain items necessary to be a “frat star” or a sorority girl, but remember there’s always room for you to continue to wear what you love outside of what is considered the norm. No matter if you decide to change your look or not, dressing fashionable according to you is always in style. There’s no problem with incorporating these popular trends into your own personal look after joining Greek Life, but just stick to the style that’s best for you!

Top photo: sororitysugar.tumblr.com

Middle photo: SperryTopSider.com

Bottom photo: dgbetasigma.tumblr.com)

Senior communication major at the University of Maryland, College Park