SEE Presents: Art Attack XXIX

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

On Friday, May 4th at 6:30 p.m., the University of Maryland community and friends will gather at Byrd Stadium for this year’s Art Attack performance. The opening performance will be The Dean’s List followed by the main performer, B.o.B.

Caitlin Daitch, a sophomore business major and member of SEE, says that SEE has a very thorough process that they go through to choose a headliner for Art Attack. “We take surveys of the campus and compile research that informs us of what the campus would like to see,” Daitch says.

There are also other factors that need to be thought about such as if the performers are available on the day of the show and if they are in the allotted price range. Once the Concerts Director finds a potential artist, a voting session is set up for the SEE Director Board so they can give their input.

Most students believe that Art Attack switches up the genre of music each year, such as switching from rap to rock and then back to rap again. However, Daitch explains otherwise. “As a board, we try to program diversely and therefore attempt to cater to the different tastes in music, but our priority is to bring a band or performer that the students want for Art Attack.”

Daitch says that this year SEE looked into both rock and hip-hop artists, but found that the campus would be more satisfied by choosing B.o.B., even though Nelly performed last year.

Dan Smith, a sophomore business major, is pretty excited for B.o.B. to perform this year. “He’s definitely someone who has a lot of energy in his music which is always good for a big end of the year performance,” Smith says. He also added that B.o.B. has some good mainstream songs that everyone can really relate to, but he has also stayed true to his music at the same time. “I think everyone likes that,” Smith says.

Victoria Joosten, a freshman government and history major and a member of SEE, is also looking forward to the concert. “I’m pretty excited,” she says. She mentioned that B.o.B. actually has a new album coming out right before the show and she hopes to listen to some of his new music before going to the concert.

Joosten was a little bit nervous about the opener, The Dean’s List. “I had actually never heard of them before, but I’ve been listening to them and I think they’ll be really fun,” Joosten says. She describes The Dean’s List as having a “really cool party vibe” that everyone will really enjoy.

“The Dean’s List is an up-and-coming hip-hop group that is rapidly gaining recognition on the University of Maryland campus,” Daitch says. “We are sure they will be a solid opener for this year’s Art Attack.

Daitch is personally excited for this year’s event. “I think the show will be a huge success and I can’t wait to help put it together,” Daitch said.