This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

There’s a reason why they say that vest weather is the best weather. The temperature is no longer sweltering hot, but it’s not freezing cold. For the first time in a long time, it’s comfortable. Your weekends are now filled with tailgate-hopping on game days and trips to the pumpkin patch. Later, you sit with your friends as you eat freshly baked apple pie and sip from pumpkin-flavored coffee. While you do all these naturist activities, the vest is the one item of clothing that is with you for every step that you take on those crunchy leaves.

Whether you dress it up or dress it down, the vest offers endless combinations. You throw it over a long-sleeved shirt or a button down and you’re outfit is complete. Wear it with your leggings or skinny jeans and lace up your favorite boots. Whatever, you do, just make sure you add the vest.

Another great thing about vests is that they come in several different styles. Vests can be found wherever outerwear is sold, ranging from Patagonia to L.L. Bean to your local Gap. Need to stay warm? There’s a vest for that. Going for a look off the runway? There’s a vest for that, too. If you don’t think that you can pull it off, go with either a fleece or a puffer vest.

A fleece vest gives a classic look that is appropriate for seasons besides fall. With its lighter weight, it works well for the winter and spring, too. It’s a favorite go-to among women because of how well a monogram stands out on it. The fleece vest also nicely complements a three quarter sleeve shirt.

The puffer vest makes more appearances the further autumn progresses. It has a sportier look but does its job in keeping you warm. Some puffer vests are bulkier than others, but the addition of a scarf takes away this puffier look. A puffer vest is absolutely perfect for layering as the temperature gets colder and you can add it underneath your fall coat.

Vests are essential for fall. With their incredible comfort ability, it’s no wonder that both women and men across campus can be seen sporting them. They are the Uggs and sweatpants of outerwear. Vests keep your chest perfectly warm but more range of motion than a winter coat does. This means your arms are free to play with the puppies in front of Mckeldin or ace a game of corn hole.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.