This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The middle of the semester is quickly approaching, and many new Terps are still getting acclimated to life at the University of Maryland. During this busy time, some things, such as common safety strategies, may get put on the back burner. 

Photo courtesy of pexels.com 

However, even while safety is not always at the forefront of students’ minds, it is important that they always be wary of the potential for fraud. 

Photo courtesy of pexels.com 

Police Sgt. Rosanne Hoaas, the public information officer for the University of Maryland Police Department, said that since 2018, her office has received 59 fraud reports. 

These reports include multiple types of fraud, including counterfeit bills, extortion, check-cashing, and phone scams, Hoaas said. 

Phone scammers prey on the emotions of their victims. “They’re using fear, they’re building upon the notion that you’re already freaked out… they’re using fear tactics to continue to keep you on the phone,” said Hoaas. 

Hoaas explained that phone scammers often claim to be calling from government entities, such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and tell people they will go to prison if they don’t immediately send money, which often occurs in the form of a gift card or wire payment. 

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

While Hoaas acknowledged that these scams can be scary, she said there are ways to avoid being a victim of phone scammers.

“If you don’t know the number, hang up,” said Hoaas, stating the best way to avoid scammers is to not answer in the first place. 

If you do answer a scammer’s call, Hoaas advocated for using common sense before making any rash decisions. 

“Who calls you from a state entity or federal agency asking you to pay in the form of gift cards… that’s not an acceptable form of payment,” Hoaas said. 

Photo courtesy of pexels.com 

When dealing with people you don’t know, whether, over the phone or internet, it is important to exercise caution and use common sense in order to avoid potential fraud cases.

“If it sounds too good to be true, chances are, it probably is,” Hoass said.
Madi Burinsky is a junior multiplatform journalism major at the University of Maryland. She’s new to writing for a public audience, as her typical method involves smashing some keys in an attempt to form a coherent thought on an on-going Google Doc of her unsolicited opinions. In addition to writing, she enjoys playing volleyball and tennis, and attempting to play soccer (her best position is on the bench). She’s a proud mother. Of two cats.