Style > Decor

Renter-Friendly Interior Designs for your College Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Many college students decide to live in apartments off campus after freshman year. This is often an exciting transition for students because of the in-unit laundry machines, kitchens and amenities. Many students are faced with the dilemma of decorating their apartments to their own tastes, while making sure they get their security deposit back. Renter-friendly interior designs are not only essential to curating a relaxing vibe away from schoolwork, but to protecting the condition of your furniture and walls.

1. Command hooks and strips come first

These hooks should be the first thing in your cart when shopping for apartment decorations. Although it seems obvious, they are essential to protecting your walls and opening the door to possibilities in your space! My favorite way to use these hooks is for seasonal banners. Target often sells holiday banners with loops on each end. These spread against large blank walls and immediately bring joy to a room. I also use these to hang up string lights, my favorite bags, baseball hats and dried flower bouquets I can’t seem to get rid of. 

1. Don’t neglect your living room

Living areas are often neglected as no one wants to take the burden of spending money on a shared item, but it’s worth it.  Rugs are one way to decorate your apartment with zero damage, and they make a large impact. Pick out a cute rug at your favorite discount retailer; adding one will make it look like you put a lot more effort in than you did! Colorful pillows also add personalized touches that will make your living room so much cozier. Expanding decoration outside of your bedroom will lift your mood every time you get back after a long day. 

1. Plants and flowers will give you life

Buy yourself some flowers, you deserve them! They last a few weeks if you change out the water and take care of them. Buying a small bouquet of flowers or a couple cacti will give you something to take care of and brighten up your apartment immensely. Even if they start to wilt, you can press them or dry them to keep them around. Putting personal care and intention into the things you buy and maintain for your apartment will give you the homey-vibe you might be missing at college.

1. Go thrifting for unique items

Thrift stores are full of unique glassware, side tables, games and framed decor. Finding items with character will make you love being in your apartment at a low and sustainable cost. I have found sage green plates, glasses with little carved boats on them, and some of my new favorite party card games. College is the time for experimentation and doing what you love, so decorating your apartment is a great place to start. Don’t hesitate to curate your environment just because it’s temporary.

Paige Bilsbury

Maryland '24

Junior journalism student at the University of Maryland