Career > Her20s

Preparing for Graduation and the Stress that comes with it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As the semester starts to dwindle down, the thoughts of post-college life are creating more stress for already burnt out students. It may seem like your peers have everything figured out. You may overwork yourself or feel panicked about falling behind. This feeling isn’t rare and there are steps you can take to set your mind at ease. 

Allison Asarch, a staff psychologist at the University of Maryland Counseling Center, provides clinical counseling for students. She also coordinates all of the center’s outreach programming and engagement with the community.  

“Some confusion or uncertainty around career choice or even career interest is influencing what’s going on for the student and so might be contributing to some worry or some stress,” Asarch says.

Asarch suggested that students consider the different pieces that go into deciding their future career. The feelings you may have about future career paths do not have to lock you into a certain field or position. There are many people who pursue careers and then make changes over the course of their life. 

Being unsure about where your life is going is something that everyone struggles with at some point and it’s okay not knowing what the next step is. Just remember, you’re allowed to make mistakes and you’re not alone. 

Despite the unknowns of post-grad there are ways to mitigate stress. Internships during your time in college can give you hands-on experience without the pressures of it being a full time job. Taking advantage of the University’s counseling center can also help with short term career counseling. 

Michael Brice-Saddler, is University of Maryland class of 2018 alum, and currently works at The Washington Post as a local reporter covering government and politics.

When Saddler was a student at the University, he interned at The Washington Post and extended his stay following graduation. His experience as an intern allowed him to continue his work with the publication. 

Another resource is the career center, which can help you search for a career that is right for you. Talking to your professors about these decisions can also be helpful as they are people you regularly interact with and may know you on a more personal level.

Sometimes, students graduating from college can benefit from taking time outside of school work to cope with post-graduation stress. Whether that be playing video games, journaling or exercising, taking time to refresh your mind outside of work improves mental health drastically.

Dorothy Hood

Maryland '23

I am a Junior majoring in Journalism with a minor in Sociology. I am very passionate about writing, especially about things like the environment, women empowerment and pop culture.