nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to Women Giving Random Compliments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

To the women who like to give random compliments to even more random women,

Thank you. And not “thank you” as in, “I don’t actually believe what you just said to me, but I don’t want my insecurities to make you uncomfortable so I’m just going to grin and bear it.” No, really. Thank you.

I was having the worst Tuesday ever. There was a 10-page essay that needed writing, a phone bill that needed paying and on top of everything, that day’s diner food was so not at it’s best. But then you told me you loved my maxi skirt as I was walking to my second class of the day. And that’s when the sun finally came out.

I don’t know if you guys know this, but when a woman compliments another woman, free of any agenda whatsoever, it 100% makes her day. It doesn’t matter what else happens. My amazon package was lost in the mail. Ehhh, it’s alright. My NBA team didn’t make finals? Welp. Mom’s kicking me out the house once I graduate? I mean, I’m feeling pretty great right about now so…

Here’s the thing: the world likes to convince us that when it comes to women, there’s no such thing as true companionship; just a bunch of catty women waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bad Girls Club, Mean Girls, The Real Housewives of Atlanta and pretty much anything broadcast on VH1 has taught us that. But a random compliment is just what the world needs to combat those misconceptions about ladies, and just people in general.

An unexpected burst of encouragement after a not so encouraging day says, “Hey! I don’t know if you’ve been lifted up today, but just in case you haven’t, let me help you!” Just when we’re at our lowest, you guys swoop in and remind us that we’re not too shabby after all. And that is just the kind of thing that makes the world brighter and female smiles wider. Thanks, girlies!

From a very grateful girl,

Maryam