Noah Kahan concert at Oceans Calling
Noah Kahan concert at Oceans Calling
Original photo by Alex Marek

Noah Kahan’s Collaborations Unite the Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With collaborations with many well-known artists on brand new and re-done versions of his pre-released songs on top of a Grammy nomination, singer-songwriter Noah Kahan’s fanbase has been growing while his folk-pop music and collaborations have turned heads. As Kahan has collaborated with artists across music genres, these artists have all brought something new to the songs that Kahan’s fans have fallen in love with and the sound that Kahan has produced.

Kahan is a folk-pop artist from New England who writes songs focused on mental health, the reality of growing up in a small town and the complexity of relationships. While Kahan has been releasing his own music since 2017, he gained many listeners through TikTok in 2020, where he teased “Stick Season,” a song about missing his past lover. Kahan released the album of the same name on Oct. 14, which reached number three on the Billboard 200. Kahan has since released an extended version of the “Stick Season” album, “Stick Season (We’ll All Be Here Forever).” Kahan is now a Grammy nominee for Best New Artist of 2024. Let’s take a look at Kahan’s collaborations so far as he attempts to unite the music industry.

“Dial Drunk (with Post Malone)”

“Dial Drunk (with Post Malone)” was released on July 17 as a new version of Kahan’s original “Dial Drunk.” This is an upbeat song about Kahan getting stopped by the police and trying to call his ex, who does not answer in his time of need. I noticed Kahan reminiscing about his past love and continuing to love them even though they’re not a part of his life anymore. He sings that even though they did not answer his call he would still “die for [them].” 

Post Malone’s added verse furthers the narrative about reminiscing about a past love, yet adds another layer to the song that I can only describe as chaotic, with his fast-paced lyrics and vivid description of his time “in the back of a cop car.” Malone’s feature on this song got a lot of attention from Malone’s fans as Malone, usually a hip-hop, rap and pop artist, made his debut within the folk-pop music genre. 

“Call Your Mom (with Lizzy McAlpine)”

A new version of Kahan’s song “Call Your Mom” was released featuring Lizzy McAlpine on Sept. 15. This song is about Kahan being there for a friend who does not think they can go on in life and it definitely made me shed a tear the first time that I listened to it. For people who have struggled with mental health or have friends who struggle with mental health, this song is a reminder that you are never alone in your struggles. 

As McAlpine is normally more of an indie, folk-pop artist, her voice seems to add a soft element to the song, exuding the desperation and hope that can come with helping a friend through a mental health struggle. 

“Sarah’s Place (feat. Noah Kahan)”

“Sarah’s Place” is a song on Zach Bryan’s EP “Boys of Faith,” which was released on Sept. 22. This song seems to be about an ex who moved onto a job in a new place, but things just aren’t the same without her while Kahan and Bryan remain in the place that she left behind. Even though Kahan and Bryan are proud of where she is and how far she’s gone, she’s still a representation of how times are changing and will never be the same.

While Bryan is mainly a country artist, this collaboration is an equal blend of Bryan’s usual country sound with Kahan’s folk-pop background. Kahan and Bryan were able to collaborate to make an upbeat song that still tugs on the listeners’ heart as they reminisce.

“She Calls Me Back (with Kacey Musgraves)”

“She Calls Me Back” was a song written by Kahan and released on his original album, “Stick Season.” The song shows Kahan’s perspective of an old relationship that he can’t let go of because he is still in love with his ex who does not return his feelings. Even with the somber meaning behind this song, I see this song as one of the most fun, upbeat songs on the “Stick Season” album that you can’t help but dance to. 

Kacey Musgraves, who is normally a country singer, contributes a new verse to the original song, playing the part of Kahan’s ex-girlfriend. Musgraves explains how she is “running out of tears to cry” for Kahan and doesn’t know why Kahan still loves her, as she doesn’t love him anymore and calls him only “once a week.” Musgraves’ additional verse adds a new layer to the story behind the song, allowing the listener to better understand the lack of boundaries between the exes and how they are both playing a part in this unhealthy relationship. 

“Northern Attitude (with Hozier)”

“Northern Attitude (with Hozier)” was released on Nov. 10 as a new version of “Northern Attitude” that Kahan released on the “Stick Season” album. According to The Sound Cafe Magazine, “Northern Attitude” is a song about Kahan living in Vermont with a small population, which led to Kahan feeling lonely. This loneliness affected his relationships and the way he went about his life, but also helped him discover himself. 

Hozier’s collaboration with Kahan is long awaited for many fans of the two prominent folk artists, myself included. As Hozier normally sings a mix of folk, blues and rock, his added harmonies and riffs with his wistful voice brought me a sense of being enveloped by this Vermont loneliness. Hozier’s voice shows the beauty of discovering yourself and finally accepting the loneliness that has been a part of you for your entire life.

Overall, Kahan’s collaborations serve to add new elements to his pre-existing songs, while also bringing new stories and emotions to his discography as he seemingly attempts to unite the music industry.

Bella is a freshman at the University of Maryland majoring in journalism with a history minor. Bella is from Massachusetts and loves spending her free time traveling, thrifting, going to concerts, and spending time with friends and family!