New Year’s Eve Done Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s that time again–time for the countdown; time to reflect on the past; time to aspire for the future. It’s almost New Year’s. 

Along with the typical anticipation for that evening of celebration, we also feel stressed to find NYE-worthy plans (or at least I do). I dream of the New Year’s Eve when I can go to a lively club with all of my best friends and dance the night away as we count down to 12 a.m..

With Avicii tickets marked at a minimum of $165, and promises for a cold night in Times Square, I find that my options for an unforgettable night are slim. So how else can we ring in the New Year without dropping big bucks and freezing our a*ses off?

Plan in Advance
For the friend of the group that decides to host the NYE party, be sure to plan it early. “Scrambling to make New Year’s Eve plans the day of is never fun. Skip the stress by deciding where you’ll ring in 2011 well before Christmas,” according to Glamour.com.  This way, all of the guests can make arrangements to attend the party far in advance.

Make the Party Playlist
Now that you know you’re hosting a party, be sure to make a party-appropriate playlist. Cosmopolitan.com says, “Choose your favorite party tune, and then have the iTunes Genius feature pick other tracks from your library that go perfectly with it.”

I don’t know about anyone else, but I fully intend on dancing the night away no matter where I am this New Year’s Eve. So, it is crucial that the jams are pumping throughout the evening to keep the guests in lively spirits!

Prepare the Drinks
A friend told me of a family tradition she practices in which they bake a quarter of the New Year into a cake. Whoever ends up with the slice of cake with the quarter is said to have great luck for the incoming year.

To add a college spin on the tradition, make a round of New Year’s Jell-o shots and add the quarter to one of the cups. Before toasting, have everyone take a look to see who received the lucky coin!

Dress to Impress
We’re all looking for that New Year’s kiss when the clock strikes twelve, so make sure you’re looking on-point when you show up for the night’s festivities! Make your outfit fun by wearing all of the sparkles, sequins, or beads your eyes can handle. I always take advantage of this night to wear the most obnoxiously bright outfit in my wardrobe.

Feel free to even incorporate the shiny metallics in your heels! Seventeen magazine says “Sequin covered pumps = the ultimate party shoe.” Because there may be a lot going on in the outfit, keep your make-up toned down. Stick to neutral shadows or simple black eyeliner.

So now that you’re ready to get the party started, be sure to enjoy the time you have with your friends or family as you ring in 2012!