Clueless
Clueless
Paramount Pictures
Style > Fashion

New Season, New Style: Your Guide to Fall Fashion 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

article by Charlotte Ormond

It is that time of the year to start breaking out your fall wardrobe. This fall is all about experimenting, venturing beyond the mainstream and being bold with your style choices. Throw out all the rules this fall and be unique! If you want to feel confident in your style and step out with the newest trends, this 2023 fall fashion guide is for you.

Let’s talk denim: Classic 90s trends, like maxi denim skirts, are making a major comeback this fall. When paired with a chunky boot you will be all set for a weekend trip into D.C. In terms of jeans the low-rise, baggy fit is the look this season. They are comfortable and wearable, making a great casual outfit for class. Other trendy baggy pants that you should look for on your next shopping trip include cargo pants and parachute pants. Another stylish option to enhance your wardrobe is the plaid skirt, which is Vogue-approved for fall.

Accessorizing is an essential part of creating an exceptional outfit. Try upgrading your outfits with unique uses of belts this fall. Layering belts is a great way to turn a simple outfit into a chic fashion statement. Between the thin, minimalist belt to the chunky, statement belt there are many options to experiment with. Another major 90s fashion trend that is back this fall is the cord-pendant necklace. They are affordable and a great way to elevate your outfits.

Staying warm is another important factor when putting together fall outfits. If you want to stay on trend while staying warm, think about investing in a bomber jacket. A baggy, leather bomber jacket paired with a knitted sweater is a great warm, fashionable option as temperatures lower.

Anna Schultz-Patches On Jean Jacket
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

A popular shoe that is comfortable and stylish is the Birkenstock clog. This shoe has been around since the 70s, gained popularity in the 90s and continues to dominate the fashion industry this fall. The platform Ugg boot is another classic that is a great option for fall time. If you’re looking to take your outfit to the next level, try out a pair of ballet flats that, according to Vogue, is the “trendiest shoe.”

If you haven’t noticed yet, vintage is in. The appeal of classic vintage-inspired trends will remain strong this fall. One way to keep up with this trend is to explore your local thrift stores. Thrifting is a great way to find unique pieces at a cheaper price, while shopping sustainably. If you can’t make it off campus to thrift, take advantage of the vintage clothes pop-ups that occur frequently across campus.

Every Wednesday outside of Tawes Hall, there is a farmer’s market that hosts vendors who sell not only fresh fruits and pastries, but also secondhand clothing. 

The most important thing when it comes to fashion, no matter what season, is to express what you love through what you wear. But if you need some inspiration to unleash your new and improved style, stick to these fall trends and you’ll be runway-ready.