This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Keeping my curls juicy during the cold Minnesota winters has always been a struggle, and only recently have I started to embrace them. Over time, this winter curls routine has helped me protect my hair and keep my curls intact. 

I like to start out with the LOC method: liquid first, then oil, and end with cream. I start out with Carol’s Daughter Almond Milk Shampoo and Shea Moisture Intensive Hydration Conditioner in the shower and brush out my hair using a Wet Brush. Once a week,I also use the Shea Moisture Intensive Hydration Masque in the shower as well. This  helps with detangling and retaining moisture during dry and cold weather.

woman with curly hair
Photo by Honey Yanibel Minaya Cruz from Unsplash

Once I get out of the shower, I run my Cantu Leave-In Conditioner through my hair,. Afterwards, I wrap my hair using my microfiber hair towel to dry it and best retain my curls. 

Once  my hair has been in a towel for a few minutes, I follow up with some coconut oil through the ends of my hair. I opt for some organic coconut oil, the one they sell at Target works perfectly. 

If I’m going for a wash-n-go style or any style with my hair down, I use my hair diffuser to dry my hair a little more before using Blueberry Bliss Control Jelly to coil my curls. I like to use this gel on my edges in the winter to keep flyaways down in some protective hairstyles. 

three black women
Photo by Zach Vessels from Unsplash

At the end of the routine I like to do one final moisturizing spray using Daily Damage Repair Leave-In Conditioner Spray by Carol’s Daughter. 

Whether I’m at school in Maryland or at home in Minnesota, I always follow this routine. It’s important to embrace your curls and show them some love during the winter and keep them moisturized, juicy and bouncy.

Hi! My name is Court an I'm a journalism major at Maryland! I'm really interested in social justice as well as fashion and photography.
Gracie is a junior journalism and public policy double major at the University of Maryland, College Park. Currently, Gracie is one of the Campus Correspondents for her chapter alongside Devon Milley.