This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Article by Sarah Cassuto

Whether you are looking for a good read to get cozy on the couch with or a book to help decompress during finals season, these are the top reads for this fall. Instead of scrolling through BookTok, hopefully this list inspires you to pick up a new book. 

1. It Starts With Us by Colleen Hoover is the sequel to the extremely popular book, It Ends With Us. If you haven’t read that one, make sure to read it first. Colleen Hoover books have taken over TikTok and this should be no exception. This story begins right where the prequel left off. Lily and Ryle have figured out their co-parenting routine, but Atlas comes along and makes life complicated. Lily is excited to be in touch with her first love again, but things get confusing. This love triangle will keep you tangled up.
  2. Carrie Soto Is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid came out at the end of summer, so now is the perfect time to read it if you haven’t yet. It is about Carrie Soto, who is the best tennis player of all time. After retiring, Soto watches her record taken from her at the US Open, which motivates Soto to play in one last tennis season. I guarantee Soto’s comeback story will keep you coming back for more. 
  3. I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy shares Jennette McCurdy’s struggles while growing up as a star on the popular television shows iCarly and Sam & Cat. McCurdy shares the hardships caused by her mother and how she worked to overcome them. 
  4. Book Lovers by Emily Henry is the perfect book if you are looking for an easy beach read to either take on vacation or make you feel like you are on vacation. This new book by the #1 New York Times bestselling author was named a Most Anticipated Book of 2022 by many, including Oprah Daily, Marie Claire and The Washington Post. Nora Stephen does not feel like the main character in her own life. Her sister Libby asks her to go on a trip where she plans to turn Nora into the heroine. On the trip, Nora meets Charlie, another book lover. They both aren’t their own hero, but can they become each other’s? 
  5. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas is part of a 5-book series that is resurfacing now, although this book came out in 2015. Feyre kills a wolf in the woods. After this, a creature comes and takes her to a new land, which scares her. This fear changes when she discovers that he is not always a beast and their relationship shifts. Feyre still has to continue to adapt in the faerie lands. If you like fantasy fiction, this book leads off the popular series and is a great place to start.