Movie Night at the Hoff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Student Entertainment Events (SEE) is holding a “Free Spring Movies Series” throughout the semester.  Students can come in and enjoy a night with their friends at the movies at a student’s favorite price: free.

The movies are being played at the Hoff Theater in the Stamp Student Union at 7 p.m. Movies like American Hustle, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smog and Anchorman 2 are all being shown for students on campus to come and watch. If students bring their student ID, they will be able to get in for free.

These movies have recently been released in theaters and are not yet on DVD. SEE is providing students with the opportunity to laugh at movie stars like Will Ferrill in his standout performance as Ron Burgandy right on campus.

SEE is a university organization that is run my students and advisors to bring entertainment such as these and other special events to student’s back doors.

“We [SEE] can bring quality entertainment without paying much,” incoming marketing director for SEE ,Zhubin Aghamolla said. “ Movies have a lot of power and students will watch them anyway, so why not make them free?

In a special showing, SEE premiered the movie Non- Stop three days before being it was released in theaters.  SEE was able to show this movie and many students went to see the latest Liam Neeson adventure movie. That night, the Hoff Theater was packed as far as junior sociology major Emily Filgel could see.

“The process was easy and it’s amazing to see a movie for free,” Filgel said. “The movie was really exciting and I think most people really enjoyed it and I definitely want to go to another movie at Hoff.”

Students like Filgel really appreciated that the movie was an advanced screening. Between classes and schoolwork some students may not have the time to go see the movies, but SEE is bringing the movies right to University of Maryland students.

“I really wanted to see Frozen on March 5,” sophomore communications major Carli Levitt said. “I saw that it won some Oscars and I think that it would be really great to see on campus, especially because it’s free.”

SEE uses marketing strategies such as Facebook invitations, twitter, email and word of mouth to spread the message about events. In addition to these movies, SEE brings entertainers to come to campus and will be hosting a Battle of the Bands.

Movies will be playing sporadically up until May 8. Check the event on Facebook for more details about the movies that are being shown.