This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Name: Sofia Fernandez

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Science

Position in Technica: Co-executive director with Virginia Melandri (Senior)

Instagram Handle: @sofiafern20

Q: What got you into Computer Science?

In junior year of high school, I took a coding class and realized I wanted to learn more about compsci. By senior year, I organized a hackathon called Hack MHS and decided I was set on pursuing computer science in college.

Q: What interests you most about Computer Science?

Coding relates to everything in the world. My passion for learning new languages even has a connection to computer science, like the app DuoLingo. I hope to work there some day.

Q: Why do you think having an all-women hackathon is important?

It creates is a safe community for women and as a minority in tech, it’s motivating to see a room full of women interested in the field. It also allows us to build more connections for the future.

Q: What is Technica?

It’s UMD’s all-women’s hackathon… the largest in the U.S. as of 2017. We had 850 women attend last year and even more this year. The demographic for Technica is roughly ⅓ high school students and ⅔ college students.

The goal is to inspire women in tech and spark up a passion in STEM. So at Technica, we offer workshops in virtual reality (VR), cyber security and web development. We invite keynote speakers and gain sponsorship from large corporations such as JP Morgan and Mantech. This year, JP Morgan also held interviews for internships.

Q: What words of wisdom do you find most valuable?

Don’t doubt yourself and be confident in the decisions that you make. #compsciproblems

Q: What advice would you give to someone with similar aspirations?

Girls in compsci should never be afraid to ask for help. Don’t be intimidated by others and instead ask them questions because you’ll learn more with others than by yourself. You will grow as a person once you break down that fear of being judged. That’s how you learn.

More information on Technica can be found here!

https://www.facebook.com/gotechnica/

https://www.instagram.com/gotechnica/?hl=en

Audrey graduated from the University of Maryland College Park with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Information Sciences. She was born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She loves to travel around the world and always has her camera ready to capture everything so follow her on Instagram @audreynwid. Her life motto is 'Don't be afraid to defy the auds, pun intended.' Her furry partner in crime is a Shiba Inu named Hibiki who is quite the model and loves to go hiking. Check him out on Instagram @hibibblekiki
Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.