The Maryland Smokehouse to Open on Route 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

In the College Park, Md., area and craving barbecue?  Soon, you won’t have to settle for the sad excuse for barbecue the diner is serving.  During the second week of April, The Maryland Smokehouse will open on the first floor of The Varsity, according to restaurant owner Chris George.

The Maryland Smokehouse is taking the place of Tex-Mex restaurant Austin Grill Express, which closed after only four months.

According to College Park Economic Development Coordinator Michael Stiefvater, Austin Grill Express did not close because business was not doing well.  He said the company was reorganizing and that could have been a reason for the closure.

Stiefvater said The Varsity’s landlord’s decision to bring in The Maryland Smokehouse must have been an easy one because the space was already built out for a restaurant.

“Really the city doesn’t have a say, it’s up to the landlord.  As long as [the restaurant] is allowed by the code, then it’s allowed to be in there,” he added.

George said the decision to bring The Maryland Smokehouse to the College Park area was twofold: first off, the College Park community is vibrant thanks to the University of Maryland, and second of all, there are no other barbecue restaurants in the area.

“I think with the quality of food and the way we like to take care of people, we will be quite successful,” George added.

Stiefvater agreed that the cuisine at The Maryland Smokehouse is something new to the area.

“There’s not really a similar place in town or in the nearby cities, so it will be a little bit more unique than a burger shop or fast food,” he said.

The menu will feature different kinds of barbecue, from sandwiches all the way to ribs.  George said prices for sandwiches and entrees will start at $6 and go upwards to around $20.

The restaurant will soon begin to advertise heavily to the University of Maryland community and local resident community.

“Obviously the student body is extremely important to the University of Maryland, but as well we want to be great neighbors to the community at-large,” George said.

From the restaurant’s opening during the second week of April through the end of the school year, The Maryland Smokehouse will be offering a promotion to University of Maryland students.

Students who have a valid student identification card will receive 15 percent off of their entire order, George said.

Monday through Saturday, The Maryland Smokehouse will be open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.  On Sunday, the restaurant will be open from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Top Photo Credit: www.collegeparkmd.gov’s Economic Development section
Bottom Photo Credit: LiveSmartDC.Wordpress.Com

Student journalist in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. Proud sister of Alpha Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta.