Let’s Give Your Playlists a Much Needed Revamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Music is an integral part of a college student’s life; we listen while walking to class, getting ready, doing homework, relaxing and even showering. While I have created a ton of playlists over the years, every once in a while I find myself listening to the same songs over and over. Sometimes songs I usually love just aren’t hitting the same or matching the specific mood that I am in. 

Midterm season is the perfect time to go through your Spotify or Apple Music playlists and give them a refresh. Here are some new playlist ideas that match the specific moods you might be feeling this fall, complete with title ideas and song recommendations.

1. A playlist you definitely need is for when you find yourself on aux while driving in the car with friends. You might be headed to an apple orchard or pumpkin patch or simply going for a drive. The vibes are positive and you are in the mood to sing. This playlist might have a title such as “Carpool Karaoke” or “Got The Whole Car Singing.” Some songs that should definitely be added are:

“Here’s to Never Growing Up” by Avril Lavigne

“Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson

“Live While We’re Young” by One Direction

“Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

“Getaway Car” by Taylor Swift

1. As the weather continues to get colder, another important playlist is for when it is raining or snowing outside. You are curled up under a blanket, possibly with a mug of tea or hot chocolate in hand, and have absolutely no intention of leaving. A playlist for this specific vibe could be called “By The Fireplace” or “Flannel Season.” A few song recommendations for this playlist include:

“Golden” by Harry Styles

“Cardigan” by Taylor Swift

“ceilings” by Lizzy McAlphine

“Fire and Rain” by James Taylor

“The Night We Met” by Lord Huron

1. Next is the playlist for when you actually have work to do. You have found a quiet spot in the library, purchased your obligatory Starbucks drink and laid out all your materials in front of you. Now all that is left to do is get to work. Look no further than this playlist, which could aptly be called “stuDYING” or “On The Grind,” and get your work done. Some songs on this playlist might include:

“Kiss It Better” by Rihanna

“Location” by Khalid

“Snooze” by SZA

“Dreams” by The Cranberries

“Yellow” by Coldplay

1. Another playlist to make is for when you finally are ready to tackle deep cleaning your room. It’s Sunday morning and time for you to get your life back together. This is the playlist to listen to as you run your laundry, fully make your bed, clean your desk and tackle that “I’ll deal with it later” pile. A playlist like this might be called “Sunday Reset” or “Clean Girl Lifestyle” and it may feature songs such as:

“Out of My League” by Fitz and the Tantrums

“What You Know” by Two Door Cinema Club

“Paper Rings” by Taylor Swift

“The Spins” by Mac Miller

“Passionfruit” by Drake

1. Finally, there is the classic mood boosting playlist. These songs are the ones you play when you need to hype yourself up. You might be getting ready for a night out, or just are in need of some feel good music to get yourself back on track. Sometimes the best part of a night out is getting ready with friends while blasting songs like these. This playlist might have a title like “How I Love Being a Woman” or “Confidence Booster,” and includes songs like:

“Maneater” by Nelly Furtado

“Dancing Queen” by ABBA

“Primadonna” by MARINA

“Only Girl (In The World)” by Rihanna

“Womanizer” by Britney Spears

Once you create a playlist, typically both Spotify and Apple Music will suggest additional songs to add. Before you know it, you will have a totally new selection of music in your library. Happy listening!

Lindsay is a sophomore Special Education major at the University of Maryland. She loves spending time with friends and family, watching reality tv, baking, and shopping. Follow Lindsay on Instagram (@lindsaymarchant_)!