Jacob Veitch: A Leader Amongst Leaders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Name: Jacob Veitch

Year: Senior, Class of 2018

Major: International Business / Government and Politics

Minor: Spanish Language & Cultures

Hometown: Edwardsville, Illinois (Could also just say St. Louis)

What you had for breakfast today: Absolutely nothing. I’m not a breakfast person.

Q: What have you been involved in on-campus during your time at the University of Maryland?

A: While at the University of Maryland, I have been incredibly fortunate to be involved in a wide array of activities, ranging from political organizations, campus tour guides, campus programming, and campus governance.

As state chairman for the Maryland Federation of College Republicans, I work to constructively advocate for conservative policies, a substantial challenge in the face of the current political climate. As group tour coordinator for Maryland Images: Campus Tour Guides, I worked to facilitate logistics for each of the nearly 100,000 visitors that take a tour at the University of Maryland each year. As a legislator in the Student Government Association, I now work to advocate for change on campus that benefits each of our over 25,000 undergraduate students.

In these leadership roles and others, I have sought to engage and empower students of all walks of life. Today, as president of the Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society’s Sigma Circle, I am proud to continue this fight, overseeing a community of the very best leaders on campus. Leading this organization is an absolute privilege, and I could not be more excited about the work we are doing to raise funds for Terps affected by recent natural disasters, engage the broader campus community with a first-of-its-kind Leadership Conference, and offer unique opportunities to learn from fellow leaders at ODK-exclusive panels and social events.

Q: If you were running for president of the United States, what would your campaign slogan be?

A: Being heavily involved in the political world, I have come to find that few people are ever interested in offering solutions to problems. Instead, most seek to divide, often for their own benefit. Despite partisan divisions, I truly believe that most Americans agree on 70% of the issues, and all share the same goals, such as, most notably, ensuring a better tomorrow for future generations. I’d seek to offer a results-oriented campaign, one motivated by finding common ground, not scoring cheap partisan points. It’d be a campaign that tackles our broken political culture and focuses once more on achieving “Real Results – Together.”

Q: Who is your celebrity crush and what would your first date look like?

A: To many, it comes as no surprise that Emma Stone is my celebrity crush. Despite her successes, she remains down-to-earth, someone with a genuinely joyous and unwavering spirit. Channeling my favorite Emma Stone performance, it only seems appropriate that we spend our first date at a jazz club.

Q: What’s your favorite restaurant on Route 1 and your go-to order there?

A: How did students survive without Blaze Pizza? I’m not sure my college experience would be quite what it is today without bonding over a build-your-own pie with spicy red marinara sauce, shredded and ovalini mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage, chicken and bacon. So many great memories and meals!

Q: Describe the moment you realized you made the right decision to pick Maryland as your college.

A: My freshmen year, I marched on the Mighty Sound of Maryland’s Snareline. After just one week on campus, I marched onto the game day field with a group that had already become family. It was truly remarkable. Though I chose to pursue other opportunities, leaving the Mighty Sound after that first fall at UMD, I remain close to many of my friends from the drumline and am proud to be one of the few Maryland students that knows and belts out every word of the Alma Mater!

Q: If you could only carry around three things on campus for a year, what would they be and why?

A: Reusable water bottle, frisbee and baby turtle pin. Gotta stay hydrated. Gotta enjoy the beautiful green spaces on campus with friends. Gotta be ready to show some Terp pride at a moment’s notice.

Q: What was the last piece of pop culture you consumed and what did you think of it?

A: Just last weekend, I made a trip to the local movie theater to check out IT with some friends. As our friend group’s resident cinephile, I make an effort to see every notable release in theaters, even movies like IT that wouldn’t normally be at the top of my list. Yet, I was surprised to find just how much I enjoyed the film, thanks in large part to the Losers Club! The kids’ humorous and charming performances brought a great smile to my face, leading to more laughs than scares. Highly recommended!

Q: What legacy do you want to be remembered by post grad?

A: Upon graduation and throughout life, I wish only to be remembered as an unrelentingly joyous person with an unwavering love for others. Being a leader means taking the time to actually invest in others and place your own burdens in the background. Spontaneous heart-to-hearts over ice cream, unexpected appearances at others’ a cappella concerts, or even giving away that ticket to see Al Gore because it means more to your friend than it does to you. The small moments matter the most, demonstrating the type of leader and friend I strive to be each and every day.