I Did the Women’s March and This is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“I wish I could go down there,” I said to my local news as I watched a tease for a story about the Women’s March. My dad told me that my aunt was going and I could probably go with her.

To say that I was apprehensive is an understatement. I’m not the most spontaneous person in the least. Anyone who knows me, knows that I require a three-day notice of anything if it involves putting on real clothes and leaving my bed. I couldn’t see myself making my way to D.C., amidst the crowds, for a march. Even if it was for a good cause.  

But then I thought about what I’d be missing.

The night before, I couldn’t sleep. I was half excited, half anxious and slept into the late afternoon in an attempt to avoid the inauguration.

So when 6:00am came, I was ready to get dressed and moving. My dad made sure I got my obligatory up-before-10 Starbucks and dropped me off in Pentagon City to get on the metro.

As a true D.C. area resident, I’ve traveled my fair share of events in the city via metro, including TWO sold out Taylor Swift concerts, but nothing could beat the crowd I dealt with that morning.

The atmosphere in the city was intense, in the best way possible. Amidst the signs and music, standing around strangers and talking about issues that are important to me was one of my favorite parts; I got to meet people who travelled from all over the country to stand up for what they believe in.

Even though the program seemed to last longer than expected, I loved getting to hear some amazing women speak. Maxine Waters told the newly inaugurated president that he did not intimidate “us.” Ashley Judd gave a fire recitation of Nina Donovan’s “I Am a Nasty Woman” poem. And then there was Gloria. Steinem.

Once the walk started, things got really interesting. Those rumors about crowd size? Not exaggerated at all. At times, I couldn’t believe I was walking the city of D.C. People on rooftops waved, and signs sparkled even in the dark sky.

By then, I felt the fatigue set in. I had spent the majority of fall semester cheering on the sidelines of Maryland football games for several hours, but nothing compared to this. I was hungry and my flat feet were worn, but the motivation to keep going was overwhelming. Makinh it to the end was an accomplishment.

Many ask the question, “Why walk? Don’t women have rights already?” But it’s deeper than that. It‘s about the rights we do have being at risk. It‘s about the issues that affect women of color, which are often ignored. It‘s bigger than me.  

Even though I could barely keep my eyes open when it was over, the Women’s March was a moment in history, and I’m so glad I was there.  

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.