How to Save a Life: Suicide Prevention and Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Every 18 minutes someone in the U.S. dies by suicide, while families and friends become heartbroken. Suicides for young people are on the rise and it is time we do something about it.

As college students we see and meet so many people everyday. Most of the time our attention is so buried in our smart phones, studies, and weekend plans, that we forget we are surrounded by people. If we would look up, maybe we could catch someone silently crying out for help. It is important for us to identify the signs, before its too late. 

Part of helping someone is trying to understand what it is that person is going through and where their despairing thoughts are coming from. The University of Maryland’s Help Center administrator, Margaret Ellen Johnson said, “It’s different for each person. It definitely involves being in a dark place, where people feel like they may be alone and need to escape a really bad, intense situation. They feel there’s no other escape but to kill themselves.”

She explained that if you are close to someone and think they may be having these thoughts, look to see if they are withdrawn and have a lack of interest in things they usually enjoy. Also never be reluctant to just ask.

“One the hardest things that it takes to break the ice is to ask that question, are you thinking about killing yourself? That is a very powerful question…try to get as many details as you can,” Johnson said.

Having a conversation and listening to someone could be exactly what they need to remind them of all they have to live for.

“There’s always a reason not to kill yourself,” Johnson said, “Sometimes it is hard to find, but there’s always a reason.”

Recently suicide has been linked to the LGBT community and bullying. According to recent gay bullying statistics, gay and lesbian teens are two to three times as more likely to commit suicide than others their age.

Sophomore women’s studies major, and member of the Pride Alliance for non-normative sexualities and genders, Zed Seward, emphasized the need to take action and stop these senseless deaths.

“Things get better but they’re not going to be better on their own. We have to do something about it, we actually have to organize and mobilize to actively make spaces safer,” Seward said.

Schools should be a safe haven for students, not a place for torture. Everyone is held accountable.

“It’s the responsibility of the community as a whole to make sure no one is getting bullied. Regardless if they’re being bullied for being gay, being fat, or nerdy,” Seward said. “If anyone is being bullied its our responsibility to make sure there are resources available for them to get help.”

Parents must teach their children at a young age that bullying is unacceptable. In order to do this, parents should start with themselves and set a good example. We never know when someone is nearing his or her breaking point. Before saying something hurtful to someone else, picture them as your brother, sister, or friend. Treat others they way you would want to be treated.

Be informed! Here are some warning signs of suicide:

• loss of energy                                    -giving away personal items
  • talk of death                          -peer rejection
  • mood swings                          – drug use and abuse
  • depression                             -loss of interests in activities

Suicide awareness and prevention is very close to me. I have lost friends in the past to suicide and it is a heartbreak and a feeling that cannot be explained. If you have lost a friend or family member to suicide, know that it is not your fault. Everyone makes decisions for themselves and would not want those around them to feel guilt. Try to seek support emotionally, physically, and spiritually. You can also find closure in informing others and doing your part in prevention.

Next time you talk to your friend, before telling them about your day, or discussing the latest news, be sure to ask them how they are feeling. Show them you care. You never know how little it takes to save a life.

Help Center provides short-term peer counseling for anyone that needs it. They also have a counseling and crisis intervention hotline 301-314-HELP. For more information you can go to www.umdhelpcenter.org