How to make this season’s fall trends wearable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Photo taken from stylelist.com

All right collegiettes let me set this straight. I’ve seen way too many articles stating that the upcoming fall trends are “dark colors and leather jackets”. So I want to show you ladies what is actually trending, and what you are bound to see in stores this upcoming season. I’m not going to lie, there are A TON of trends going on for the Fall seasons, but I’ve narrowed down the five most prominent ones: Modern western, 90’s grunge, Sportswear, Gray, and Embellishments.

Modern Western

Photo taken from becomegorgeous.com

The modern western trend doesn’t necessarily translate to cowboy boots; it’s more of a dark, grungy, bohemian, romantic look. I’d say this is trend is one of the most noticeable retail changes and also one of the most functional, as it’s the warmest trend, with its multiple layers. With this trend, you can either go all out or dip your toes in it by just wearing one western piece. Either way, you will feel as boss as Django (now on Netflix)…minus the violence of course.

Retail

• Apparel: blanket coats, fur vests and jackets, shearling, ponchos, southwestern printed sweaters and cardigans, leather pants
  • Accessories: Concho hats, fringe bags, coin and rock crystal jewelry.
  • Shoes: Ankle Booties

90’s Grunge

Photo taken from fashionisers.com

This trend excites most of the youthful demographic, since they actually have memories of living through the decade. It’s also one of the easiest trends to pull off because the trend itself is so casual. One of the most crucial pieces to the 90’s look is of course, a flannel, you can wear it as is, over a lace slip dress, or tied around your waist.

Retail

• Apparel: Flannel, moto jacket, lace slip dresses, graphic tee/sequin/lace crop tops, leather pants/shorts/skirts
  • Accessories: Chokers, beanies, knee high socks, dark burgundy or brown lipstick
  • Shoes: Doc Martens, combat boots, chunky platforms, flatform sneakers

Sportswear

Photo taken from eonline.com

One of my personal favorite trends, I am more than excited that the sportswear look continues for the fall. The trend is edgy, cool, sleek, and most importantly, COMFORTABLE. Sneakers are at their pinnacle, and as a college student facing hills on campus; I am taking full advantage of the trend! Also, this gives you an excuse to wear sleek sweatpants…SWEATPANTS LADIES!!! ‘Nuff said.  

Retail

• Apparel: Bomber jackets, raglan shirts, turtlenecks, sweatshirts, jogger sweatpants, neon accents, neoprene (scuba) fabric, mesh, jersey numbers
  • Accessories: Leather/satin baseball hats, usually accessorized with sleek and edgy jewelry like ear cuffs, bar stud earrings, or a geometric statement necklace.
  • Shoes: Slip on sneakers, trainers (Nike or Reebok primarily seen)

50 Shades of Gray

Photo taken from beyondgorgeous.com

The “it-neutral” this fall, gray will go with everything from black, blush, camel, navy, to burgundy. This season, gray is worn monochromatically for a more luxe appearance.

Embellishments

Photo taken from sydneystyle.com

A reoccurring trend for the fall and winter seasons are embellished pieces; whether it’s beads, brooch jewels, or metallic foil prints, the trend gives you an excuse to look a million bucks and sparkle! Even if your ensemble doesn’t have any sewn embellishments, you can always create a similar effect with statement jewelry. Although statement necklaces are still on trend, I’ve noticed that statement earrings are on the rise; ranging from tassel drop earrings, rhinestone chandelier earrings and studs, to jeweled or pearl ear cuffs. Remember, choose what piece you want to showcase, and leave it at that. Over-accessorizing will make you look cheap.

Retail

• Apparel: Embellished coats, dresses, matching sets
  • Accessories: Rhinestone chandelier and stud earrings, ear cuffs, pearls, statement necklaces
  • Shoes: Brooch flats

Even though these are all different trends, they all still have a modern, minimalist feel. The key to buying trendy apparel is the detail-look for good quality and cut of the garment, and the key to wearing trendy apparel is to not wear it all at once.

For those of you thinking, “I would never wear that”, just remember that runway trends are not to be taken literally. What matters is that you take the aspects you think are applicable to your life and have fun with it!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.