How to Make Easy and Cheap Meals with Items from Target Express

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Getting to a grocery store can be hard and we can’t forget about  small campus convenience store that charge $5 for peanut butter or a dining hall that serves the same 20 meals all year-round. No surprises, no exciting new flavors, and extremely overpriced cuisines burning holes in your pockets.

Your food, your way. Sound the alarm! You will be saving much more money now that Target Express has been placed right across the street from campus! Of course, it isn’t as big as the normal Target 10 minutes away…but who cares! It is walking distance and has give you the opportunity to find that the inner cook inside of you ready to throw down in your apartment style kitchens!

Here are a couple meals that will help you live frugally and hopefully healthier during your busy time at school!

Feeling Italian?

Whip up a quick meal of pasta and meat sauce! Eating pasta is a great way to up your vitamin intake, especially when you add a little color with red peppers, carrots, chopped spinach and/or mushrooms for a good mix of nutrients. Take it up notch and purchase whole grain pasta instead of white. It can’t hurt to add a little more fiber to your diet. 

Price: ~$8

Time: 10 min

Taco TUESDAYSSSS!!

Don’t miss out on the festivities! Make your Tuesday a fiesta with some tacos! Invite some friends over and watch your favorite Tuesday night special (Pretty little Liars duh!). This meal adds a little splice to your palette and costs less than a grande meal at Taco Bell! Instead of beef, try lean turkey and experiment in the kitchen by making your own salsa and guac!

Price:  $10 (for 12 tacos? DEAL!)

Time: 15 min

Lean and Green!

After the gym, amp up the greens and protein! You want a meal that will fill you up and go along with your journey to a spring break body! It may seem simple, but one of my favorite quick meals is chicken, potatoes, and veggies!! You can easily turn your bag of potatoes into mashed, baked potatoes or a potato salad! Along with these sides, you can savor the taste of BBQ, Jerk, or Teriyaki marinated chicken!  There are so many options, with just three ingredients. Make it yours!

Price: $10

Time: 20 minutes

On the Go!

Sometimes as students, we don’t have the luxury to eat before class. Tar-jay has got your back! Hummus and smoothies, and granola oh my! Especially during this cold season, you might want to stock up fast! You never know when we might have another snowstorm. 

Price: $1-5

Time: ZEROOO

Kayline is currently a senior at the University of Maryland-College Park. She is a Family Science Major focusing on Sports Medicine and Physical Therapy. On her down time, she expresses her passion either on the volleyball court or dancing all over campus. She hopes to become a Sports Physical Therapist and contribute as a writer for a health magazine. She is obsessed with "Friends" (the show), shopping, and trying new things! She believes everyone grows at their own pace and as a new HerCampus writer, she hopes to help her readers grow into awesome women by sharing her thoughts and views of the world and all its beauty! :) Find her on Instagram @kay.limepie