matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

How Are Terrorism And Media Linked?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

“If a terrorist attack happened and the media didn’t cover it, did it actually happen?”

Philip Merrill College of Journalism Ph. D alumnus Jad Melki asked this question to a conference room packed with journalism students and faculty at Knight Hall. Melki presented his research on media strategies of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, highlighting ISIS’ ability to gain media exposure.

Melki is an associate professor of journalism and media studies, as well as the director of the Institute of Media Research and Training at the Lebanese American University. His condensed lecture incorporated statistics, graphics and videos, all explaining how media and terrorism are strongly related.

Melki introduced the idea of reframing ISIS, from a terrorist group to a virtual state, where the group combines media, terror and public diplomacy for recruitment. He also explained that ISIS knows how to work the media, and the more media exposure it receives, the more credibility the terrorist group has, which leads to more recruits. Melki’s lecture further demonstrated how terrorist attacks by ISIS in Paris and New York were all for recruitment; the group aimed to attract people through any media possible.

“ISIS pushes society into being polarized,” Melki said.

According to his research, elements such as fake news and the blurred line between politics and entertainment weaken media, making it easier for ISIS to establish a divide and reach their targets. Melki described how social media stimulates quick messages, selective exposure and crowd sourcing, all of which allow ISIS to make its target wider and attract new youth.        

Melki questioned if journalists should cover ISIS’ acts of terrorism. Although it gives the terrorist organization more exposure in the media, choosing not to cover an attack does risk public safety, he said.

“Maybe the answer is more journalism,” associate professor of Journalism Ira Chinoy said. Chinoy was one of the many professors in attendance.

“Not just more journalism, but better journalism,” Melki responded.

So what is the solution?

“To stop all these extreme campaigns, we need to solve the symptoms and go to the roots; address the grievances. The Arab world needs to start the next movement, a new ideology that will attract people,” Melki said, as he received a warm, concluding applause from the audience.