The Her Campus Experience: Reasons Why You Must Attend Her Conference Next Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Prior to becoming a writer for Her Campus Maryland, I had no idea what it meant to be a part of an organization as rewarding as this one. In addition to having the ability to pitch and write my own stories, Her Campus allows me to craft my personal voice and exercise my skills as a respected journalist. This past summer, I had the privilege of soaking in that sweetness when I attended my first HC Her Conference in New York City. Her Conference is a National Intercollegiate Conference where Her Campus members are offered countless opportunities to connect and network with other writers among participating universities. Throughout this full, two-day event, members gain priceless knowledge through insight gained from keynote speakers, successful media panelists, engaging workshops and even through the means of new-friend making. This year, notable speakers included Mitchell Tan, the Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen Magazine; Neha Gandhi, the Editorial Strategy Vice President of Refinery29; Lisa Arbetter, the Editor of People StyleWatch; and Laura Brounstein, the Special Projects Director of Cosmopolitan Magazine. Needless to say, it was an experience I’ll never forget.

Listening to the success stories of fearless female voices in the publication industry, I was truly inspired to take the next step in advancing my career as a journalist. Whether you’re interested in writing, radio, television, marketing or public relations, Her Conference can be beneficial to anyone hoping to establish themselves in the realm of the media and communication industry. Not only did I get to network with other writers and learn about future careers opportunities, I also had a chance to snag pictures with MTV’s Girl Code celebrities—Nessa and Carly Aquillino—and have a one-on-one conversation with Alicia Quarles, a NYC Correspondent from E!News. The entire conference was an incredible experience, somewhat surreal due to my surprise in meeting such notable women in the media. If there’s one thing that’s especially great about attending the Her Conference, it’s the fact you’ll leave feeling more confident and excited having learned a little bit more about yourself and the people who have made it this far. You never know, you might even run into an old friend or familiar face from previous jobs or internships (shout out to Sam Piccirillo from the TLC network)! Whether your career goals are set-in-stone or up in the air, I don’t doubt that being a part of Her Campus has the potential to get you somewhere—whether that’s now, later or in your future career.

If you’re interested in getting involved with Her Campus Maryland as a staff writer, or want to attend Her Conference next summer, email maryland@hercampus.com for more information. 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.