HC Reader Guide to D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The nation’s capital is so close to students’ fingertips, yet we rarely take advantage of D.C.’s opportunities. From the National Mall to the National Zoo, D.C. could entertain all day. However, this guide is not intended to tell you about museums or monument tours. It’s to provide HC readers with the essentials: partying, shopping and eating. What more do you need?

The Basics:

Nightclubs and Bars:

Fur Nightclub: If you’re with a big group, Fur has something for everyone. Fur lately has been known for hosting some of the biggest names in electronic music. The multilevel mutli-bar club has many dance floors with the most sophisticated sound and intelligent light systems. Be sure to check out their Halloween events.
33 Patterson St NE # A, Washington D.C., DC

Midtown Loft: The self-proclaimed “PartyPlex” is sure to be a good time in a big group or just out with the girls. Climb up the stairs to bottle service and mash-up music. It is not as wild as a giant club, but has an exclusive feel.
1219 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington D.C., DC 20036?

Eden: The highlight of Eden is its rooftop patio area. This multi-level venue hosts local DJ’s and if you don’t like the music on one floor, check out the rest of them.
1716 I St NW Washington, DC 20007

District: This restaurant and lounge turns into one of Adams Morgan’s most hyped up nightclub when the sun goes down. District features two levels, a 60 foot wrap around bar, outdoor deck, large private table areas, spacious VIP tables, weekend sponsorship with MD radio station HOT 99.5 and state-of-the-art lighting & sound systems.
2473 18th St NW Washington, DC 20009

Lotus Lounge & Bar: The lounge has a signature pixel wall, which adapts and pulsates to the beat of the music and can be customized to display text or images. The Buddha sculpture positioned above the 60-foot granite bar keeps a watchful eye over the dance floor that hosts some of the nation’s hottest DJs. (Cocktail picture courtesy of washingtonian.com)
1420 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20005

Lima: It never fails to have something for you every night, whether it is Monday salsa nights or College Tuesdays. Glow Thursdays are sure to bring you music and DJ’s from all over the world.
1401 K Street NW Washington DC20005

Shopping:

Georgetown: M Street
From thrift stores to giant shoe boutiques, Georgetown has it all. It is essentially a giant outdoor sopping mall with hundreds of stores. There are chain stores as well as local boutiques. The Shops at Georgetown Park include: Anthropology, Arden B, H&M, Intermix,   J. Crew, Sisley and Victoria’s Secret.

Friendship Heights: Loehmanns and Other Discount Stores
If you are on a budget, Friendship Heights is a must. The Loehmans, Nordstrom’s Rack, Filene’s Basement and TJ Maxx will allow you to find stylish designer pieces without breaking the bank.

Friendship Heights: Luxury
If you have money to blow, check out the luxury shops off of Wisconsin Ave. near Saks Fifth Ave. Some of the stores include Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Barney’s New York, Bloomingdales, Bulgari, Tiffinay& Co, Cartier, Jimmy Choo and Christian Dior.

South Moon Under: Bethesda
If you feel like making a drive to Bethesda, this boutique is right next to a DSW and Montgomery Mall. This store has contemporary pieces and amazing customer service. They have all the new trends and accessories to go along with it.
10247 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda, MD 20814

Food:
Georgetown Cupcakes
This small shop of indulgence is located in Georgetown as well as in Bethesda. There is nothing better than an amazingly crafted, tasty little treat. Due to their passionate love for artful cupcakes, the shop landed its own series on TLC.
3301 M Street NW (corner of 33rd & M)?Washington, DC 20007

Café Milano:
Café Milano offers upscale Italian cuisine in Georgetown. Café Milano is the hub of diplomats, lawmakers, journalists, lobbyist, entertainers, and all those who value first-class Italian food in a classic setting.
3251 Prospect Street NW, Washington, DC 20007

Proof:
Proofis a Penn Quarter dining destination that exudes both contemporary style and rustic warmth. The restaurant has been awarded three stars from the Washington Post. They have an extensive wine list and a mouth-watering menu of contemporary American food.
775 G Street NW, Washington, DC 20001

Mie N Yu:
Right off M street, Mie N Yu offers a unique menu and exotic ambiance. Dining areas reflect its international flavor: a colorful Moroccan Bazaar, an exotic Tibetan Lounge, a Turkish Tent and a classic English bar. The menu offers Regional American Cuisine with accents from Asian regions.
3125 M Street, NW, Washington, DC 20007

Hank’s Oyster Bar:
At this Dupont Circle bar you can enjoy coastal favorites and New England classics like lobster rolls and daily fish specials. Lightly fried items balance Hank’s ice bar options, which consist of a selection of raw oysters, tartar and ceviche.
1624 Q St., NW, Washington

BGR the Burger Joint:
Not your typical burger. This cheap eat features burgers like The Greek, The Cuban, The Southwester and if you’re watching your calories, the ahi-tuna option at BGR is where it’s at. Their 9-Pounder was featured on The Travel Channel and Food Network.
1514 Connecticut Avenue, NW Washington, DC, 20036