A Guide to Understanding Intercultural Communication

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Our world today has an increasingly big number of people communicates with others that come from different cultural and linguistic background. The demands for effective intercultural communication are more demanding, as now with the globalization our world is a small village where people can and in a way are expected to communicate with other from a different cultural background. Being able effectively communicate with people that display different values, beliefs and language that you is not an easy tasks and it requires time and work. Communication with others is like an iceberg, on top of which are our public behaviors that we display while underneath the iceberg are things that guide our behaviors such as values, attitudes, history and socioeconomic conditions.

An important theory that helps explain why people from different cultures do not communicate in the same way with on another can be understood by Hofstede’s value dimension theory, which states that there are four value dimensions in each culture. Lets examine each one of these values one by one:

Individualistic vs. Collectivistic cultures
Many people come from cultures that are either individualist or collectivistic, ideas that refer to the extend to which people from one country prefer to act in an individual way or as a part of a group. People in individualistic cultures prefer to do activities that will emphasize their individual freedom and rights, and value their independence. They view themselves and members of the immediate family as more important than anything else. In contrast to that, people from collectivistic cultures would sacrifice their own needs for those of the group, and feel the need to be a part of a large group of people to which they can feel connected and loyal to.
To better understand these two cultures consider the following example: an exchange student from a collectivistic culture might come in the U.S. and study whatever his country or family requires him to without refusing it. However, a student from an individualistic culture who values more his individual motivations and rights can come to the U.S. and study whatever he thinks is the right thing regardless of what others think.

Masculine vs. Feminine cultures
The notion of feminine versus masculine cultures refers to the extend to which tough values such as assertiveness, dominance and control are preferred over tender values, such as care, and equality. More specifically, masculine cultures prefer tough values and consider that the distinction between gender roles should be clear. In contrast to that, a feminine culture views both genders as equal and emphasizes human relations and quality of life.
For example Japan is a masculine culture with rigid distinction between the role that a men and women have in society. That means that they believe that women should not have leadership roles within the society or have high status positions at any organization. However, Sweden, which is a culture that values gender equality would not refrain women from having leadership roles within a culture or organization.

High vs. Low power distance cultures
Power distance cultures reflects the extend to which that class inequalities are appropriate and beneficial. A high power distance culture reflects that people in society are comfortable with inequalities in the social structure and believe that not only they should exist but also they are valuable and beneficial. People in this culture refrain from freely expressing their opinions in front of superiors and want to maintain harmony within hierarchical structures. A low power distance cultures values equality and seeks to minimize hierarchy and value each one’s opinion equally regardless of their socioeconomic status.
A good way to understand the above notion of a high power distance culture is the military. People there have a lot of respect for their superiors and believe that it is important to show their obedience to them, so even if they disagree with something they will most likely refrain from publicly expressing their opinions. On the other hand, in U.S. people feel comfortable with calling their supervisors with their first name and disagreeing with their opinions whenever that is considered necessary.

High vs. Low uncertainty avoidance cultures
Uncertainty avoidance refers to the degree in which people are uncomfortable with loose and ambiguous structure in society. High uncertainty avoidance cultures, like Asia, they highly avoid uncertainty and believe that a society should be guided by a specific and clear set of rules. Individuals usually avoid conflict and take fewer risks. People who take more risks and have higher tolerance for uncertainty and loose structures reflect the low uncertainty avoidance cultures. A good example of such culture would be our country because it encourages people to take risks and discover their own truth.

Long vs. Short term orientation cultures
This value dimension has to do with the orientation of people in relation to time and how much each culture values long-term versus short-term cultures values traditions. A long-term culture refers to people who have a very strong work ethic and value education and family as important things in people’s lives. It addresses and values more future rewards and supports the idea that people need to achieve high things in life. The short-term orientation cultures reflects people who are seeking personal control and respecting their tradition and old cultural values. People in this culture emphasize pasta and present values to a greater degree than long term orientation cultures.

Taking the above cultural dimensions and values in to consideration and try to see what really guide people’s behaviors will help them become more competent communicators with people from other cultures. Developing the ability to understand different cultures enables people to create a better understand of their own cultural identity too.

—-
Photo Credit:
(Top) Navigators.Web.UNC.Edu
(Bottom) Videos4Training