Giving Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As college students, we tend to focus on what we are getting for the holidays, and not what we can give. Money donations are a simple solution to help out organizations in the community. But more often than not, we’re scavenging for quarters in the couch for ourselves, and giving money just isn’t an option. Whether you’re in College Park or headed back to your hometown, there are plenty of places looking for non-monetary donations or a helping hand, especially during the holiday season. Listed below are some great examples to help you help others this year.

1. Extra-Ordinary Birthdays

This organization is something that you can do once, or as a great New Year’s Resolution. You can also make it a monthly commitment in College Park. Extra-Ordinary Birthdays provide birthday parties for homeless children whose families do not have the means to give their children parties on their own. This is a really fun and heartwarming way for you and your friends to volunteer together and make a huge difference in a young child’s life. The jobs for volunteers are simple: help decorate/set-up, serve snacks and cake, entertain the kids, and lead party activities. If you’d like to get involved or find out more, check out: www.extraordinarybirthdays.org.

2. Salvation Army’s Angel Tree

This volunteer option is a great way to make a difference and give back this holiday season with minimal time commitment. Angel Tree has locations in Virginia, D.C. and Maryland (Hyattsville), and they’re looking for help throughout December. This year, over 6,000 families will turn to Angel Tree for help because they do not have the money to give gifts for their children to open this Christmas. Angel Tree connects sponsors with children or families who they then help to buy gifts for. You can become a sponsor, and put some gifts under the tree for children in need. You can also help out in other ways. This great organization is looking for people to help sort the thousands of gifts they’ll be receiving this year, and they also need people to help distribute these gifts to the houses of people in need as well. If you’d like to participate in this great cause, email: Priscilla_Ramaji@uss.salvationarmy.org 

3. Clothing Donation

We all have an old closet that would benefit from a good cleaning out. And chances are most of the clothes you don’t bring to college are things that you never really wear anyway. College Park has plenty of places always accepting donations that they distribute to families in need. This is a great option if you want to do something for the community, but you don’t have a lot of time to give. There is a drop off location on Rhode Island Avenue along with several others in the vicinity that you can find on www.greenbeltmd.gov

4. Soup Kitchens and Food Banks

If you’re having a holiday party at your place, a great option is to have everyone bring a canned good that you can then donate. This is also something you can do with any club, team or sorority that you’re involved in. You can easily generate enough food to really make a difference for a family. There are few greater feelings than knowing you put dinner on the table for people that need it. You can find any location near you on www.homelessshelterdirectory.org