This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Eyebrow tweezing is a popular technique among men and women who want to eliminate unwanted, stray hairs around the brow area; however, there are plenty of potential pitfalls when it comes to the maintenance process. A common mishap when grooming our eyebrows is over tweezing. But how do we get beautiful brows without our wallets taking the hit? Let’s be honest: Going to the professionals to get our eyebrows done can become both an investment and a hassle pretty quickly. So what’s a woman to do? Follow these easy steps and you will be a grooming genius in no time!

Brow Inspiration:

Before you make any decisions, think carefully about the type of brows you may want. Here are a bunch of examples!

Photo Credit: blog.lulus.com

The Multi-Step Prep

1. Brush your brows upward with a brow brush or spooly brush and cut the ends of any longer hairs. By trimming and grooming any long hairs before you tweeze your eyebrows, it will be easier for you to spot your natural eyebrow shape. Try Ulta’s Brow Shaping Scissors and Brush.

Photo Credit: sarahmaeclements.blogspot.com

2. Stay away from magnifying mirrors to avoid over plucking. Instead, use a regular mirror.

Marking Your Territory

Photo Credit: blog.lulus.com

1. Begin marking the shape of your brow before you begin plucking. Take an eyeliner pencil and place it vertically along the side of your nose. Your brows should begin above your tear duct. Take that eyeliner pencil and mark your place.

2. Angle your brush diagonally across your iris and make a hash mark with your pencil. That is where your arch should begin.

1. Angle your brush to the end of the outer corner of your eye and demarcate it. That is where your brow should end.

Time to Tweeze

1. To avoid over-plucking your brows, tweeze one hair at a time. Start by plucking the hairs under your eyebrow and focus on stray hairs. Remember: you are only grooming your brows! Stand back and take a look at your progress each time you remove a few hairs. Examining your brows ever so often is very important. You never know: You may realize that you have less to tweeze than you thought.

2. Begin removing the stray hairs that grow beyond the hash marks you made with your pencil. When it comes to tweezing the hairs around the arch area, bear in mind that making the arches too pronounced can make you look angry or severe. Try keeping your arches subtle. If you decide you want more of an arch, then you can work from there.

Filling in the Blanks

1. Eyebrow pencils are used to fill in any gaps and to make your brows more defined. Lightly outline the top and bottom edges of your eyebrows. If you are creating hard lines while doing this step, your eyebrows may look unnatural. The key to filling in your eyebrows is to keep them looking as natural as possible. 

2. Then, with feathery strokes, take your eyebrow pencil and fill in the rest of your brows. Try Sephora’s retractable brow pencil

Voilà: Your eyebrows are done! The more you go through the motions when you are tweezing your eyebrows, the quicker you will get the hang of it and find the techniques that best work for you.

Happy tweezing, ladies!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.