Finding the Hidden Gems of College Park

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you are getting sick of the same old food at Stamp or the overcrowded study spots in McKeldin, here are a few spots I have stumbled upon while walking to class or well lets be honest, getting lost going to class. It’s never too late in the semester to find your new favorite hangout!

1. CORNERSTONE NACHOS:  Not sure if I would consider Cornerstone a hidden gem but if you’ve never had their loaded nachos and delicious fries you are missing out. Cornerstone, of course is also known for draft Sundays. Ellie Stern, a sophomore psychology major, is a huge fan and “consider[s] them to be the best nachos found in College Park!” So if you enjoy beer, nachos and sports this is the place for you.
  1. LAKE ARTEMESIA:  In need of a nice nature retreat?  Lake Artemesia is a nice running/walking area located near the Metro, it’s a nice area to get away from the hustle and bustle of Route One.
  1. BUSBOYS AND POETS:  If you want to venture a little bit out of College Park, Busboys and Poets is a unique restaurant that has a hipster café feel to it.  They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and in my opinion have the best French toast around).  They have new events ever week featuring poetry, drama readings, open mic nights, and many other small events.
  1. RUDY’S CAFÉ: This café features a Starbucks, a salad bar, study area and has under rated pulled pork paninis. If you are in a pinch and in Van Munching, this is a great place to grab a quick snack in between classes. Jess Potestivo, a sophomore public health major, stops in every morning to grab a coffee and says “the paninis are a great hangover cure and help you get through those painful discussion classes.”
  1. SPICE 6:  Spice 6 is located down Route One and can be dubbed the Chipotle of Indian style food. You can build your own rice bowl, naan pizza, naan wrap, and salads. It is fairly priced and extremely underrated. If you aren’t the biggest fan of Indian food, that’s what sophomore Sydney Jolliffe thought too, but after the criminology and psychology double major had her first bite, she said, “it was nothing like I expected. It did not have that overwhelming smell or taste that must Indian food has.”
  1. QUANTUM BUILDING: This is located is in the Computer and Space Sciences building located right on campus.  You probably know it as the circle glass building thing.  On the upper levels of the building are great studying nooks and if you are lucky enough you can snag a huge study room!  This place has saved me from the over crowded McKeldin during finals week.
  1. TACO BELL IN THE MATH BUILDING:  I was unaware of this hidden gem until just recently.  It’s right in the basement of the math building at the E+M cafe. Why one is located there, I have no idea. 
  1. AZALEA GARDEN: Located right behind the stadium, this garden is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of campus and practice your meditation skills. The garden was dedicated to H. Edward Reiley Rhododendron, who taught horticulture at the University of Maryland. Sophomore Rachael Belcher, a neurobiology and psychology major, said, “It’s nice to get away from my roommates and escape to a quiet area, where I can study with little interruption from the birds.”