Feeling “Board?” The Café for a Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Everyone enjoys having a place to have fun with friends on the weekend. Whether it’s your room, a friend’s room, or the local club, a night out with friends is something every girl loves to do. However, going out to the same place every weekend is getting a little old isn’t it? College Park has a lot to offer, but it’s all about being able to find something fresh and exciting. Let’s not forget to mention affordable.

Love a game of Monopoly, Jenga, or Life? Ever wish you could play those games but never had the resources to? The Board and Brew in College Park is a place that’s every board game lover’s dream.

News flash: This isn’t your grandma’s board game closet.

Meet Brian McClimens, one of the two co-owners of the Board and Brew. An alum of the University of Maryland, Brian opened up the Board and Brew on June 9, 2014 with his business partner and friend Ben Epstein, also an alum of UMD. They had been planning this for 3 years.

Located minutes from the campus at 8150 Baltimore Ave., the Board and Brew is a fun and different experience than any other restaurant in the area.

Brian tells me that the Board and Brew is very unique to the area, with the next closest board game café in New York. And for a $5.00 flat rate to play as many board games as you like for as long as you like, this is definitely a steal.

“We have something for everyone,” Brian says. “Lots of people don’t know what we have, but there’s plenty of good food whether you’re interested in board games or not.”

The diverse and quirky menu is something to be admired about the Board and Brew. The Board and Brew has a fun menu consisting of house-made popcorn, pretzel bites, Old Bay fries, and even a sandwich called the Nutelly. This dish is made with “Nutella, marshmallow fluff, and raspberry preserve on sourdough, pressed and grilled served with sweet fries. It is the epitome of “yum!” I tried it and confirmed it’s delicious. (They had me at Nutella.)

Hear that ladies? The Board and Brew has got something for everyone, even if you’re not an avid board game player. The food is great, many games are quick and easy to pick up, and the staff is incredibly fun to talk with.

However, if you are interested in board games, they have over 500. They’ve got games ranging from Monopoly, Rock ’em Sock ’em, and even Star Realms, Brian’s personal favorite.

They’ve got games that’ll last for 10 or 15 minutes, or games that’ll last for 3 or 4 hours.

And trust me, you can stay as long as you like. The Board and Brew once had a board game club travel from all different parts of the country and played for 3 days, open to close.

The Board and Brew recently got its alcohol license if you fancy an adult beverage. Brian says more customers have come in, but it certainly hasn’t changed the atmosphere.

So whether you’re looking for good food or looking for a place to play games with friends, the Board and Brew is an affordable and fun place to go on a rainy day. (Or any day, for that matter!)