Fashionable Person On Campus: Nazia Kaendera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

With her bold accessories and versatile clothing items, sophomore letters and sciences major Nazia Kaendera is always prepared for the new trends of the season and loves to put her own twist on each style. Kaendera loves using tricks like turning rompers into shirts or wearing a shirt backwards to not only get the most of her clothing purchases but also to integrate her own personal style into everything she wears. “I love to shop and keep up with the trends,” Kaendera said. “So I make sure to find reasonably priced and versatile pieces so I won’t feel bad about buying new clothes for the next season.”

For the Fall 2011 season, some of Kaendera’s favorite items are her thigh high boots (seen in outfit #2) and high-waisted skirts. Keep reading to see some of Kaendera’s typical fall outfits that can be worn day and night to keep you feeling fashion forward in the cooler weather.

Outfit #1: For a fun day out with friends  
Kaendera’s floral shirt paired with the cropped leather jacket gives this look a tough but girly feel. The zipper detail on the shirt and the high socks paired with heels are also two big trends right now.

What’s she wearing?
Jacket, shirt (actually a romper!) and skirt: Forever 21
Heels and socks: online shopping sites
Kaendera’s fashion tip: “Lose the socks and the jacket, and you have a perfect outfit for a fun night out!”
Versatile piece: Her “shirt” is actually a romper. Rompers can be tucked into high- waisted skirts so you can make the most of your clothing items.

Outfit #2: For a night on the town
Thigh high boots are great for fall not only are they super trendy, but they also keep you warm in the cooler weather. 

What’s she wearing?
Jacket: Donna Karan
Shirt: Forever 21
Skirt: Charlotte Russe
Boots: Aldo

Kaendera’s fashion tip: “Color-blocking is a really trendy technique these days, and if you use bold colors that work well together, you can really stand out in a good way.” Also, if the skirt is too bold, you can switch it out for a pair of black jeans.
Versatile piece: Her thigh-high boots. Kaendera said she loves them because they can be worn with anything and can be rolled down to give off a different look.

Outfit #3: For a typical class day
Cropped tops and high-waisted skirts paired with some cozy knee-high socks create a sweet but sexy ensemble.

What’s she wearing?
Shirt and skirt: Forever 21
Shoes: Steve Madden
Socks: Stole from her Mom’s closet!

Kaendera’s fashion tip: “I like wearing heels because of my height, but this outfit can be toned down with a cute pair of black boots as well.”
Versatile piece: Her long-sleeve shirt. Kaendera pinned the shirt up in the back so it can be worn like a crop-top instead of tucking it into the skirt.

Outfit #4: For a business casual affair
A fun patterned button-down shirt with a longer pencil skirt makes for a more formal outfit that still keeps Kaendera looking stylish. The long wooly sweater is also a key trendy piece for fall that’s easy to throw on any outfit.

What’s she wearing?
Shirt: H&M
Skirt: Topshop
Sweater: Forever 21
Boots: an online shopping site

Kaendera’s fashion tip: Switch out the boots and sweater for a blazer and a simple pair of heels, and you have the perfect outfit for a job interview.
Versatile piece: Her “skirt” is actually a dress.  You can put the shirt over it for a more formal look, or just wear the strapless dress alone for a fun occasion. 

Outfit #5: For a relaxing day
The jade hue of the shirt and the striking polka dot patterned skirt make for a bold but very trendy outfit that’s perfect for fall.

What’s she wearing?
Shirt: Dorothy Perkins
Skirt: H & M
Belt: Forever 21 (it was $2!)
Boots: Vintage

Kaendera’s fashion tip: Adding a belt to a skirt breaks up the outfit and gives a petite figure like mine a more curvy look.
Versatile piece:  Her vintage boots. These boots can be worn with tights to dress down a look or with jeans tucked in for extra warmth and style.  

One final piece of advice Kaendera gave was, “Just because something is expensive, doesn’t mean it’s cute. It’s all about finding clothes that you love, no matter what the brand or price is, and putting your own style to it.”