Career

Fashion TikToker Bernard Garby Gives Career Advice to Followers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If your TikTok algorithm knows you love fashion, you’ve definitely heard from up-and-coming creator Bernard Garby.

Garby, who is a luxury media sales executive for Hearst, started a daily fashion news series on TikTok for people who are interested in keeping up with the industry. Every morning, while he makes coffee or breakfast, he fills his followers and the For You page in on the latest in the luxury fashion world in 60 seconds.

His account has grown a lot since he started his fashion news series in January. He now has over 400,000 followers.

Garby is originally from Lithuania, and he earned a degree in Fashion Management from Nottingham Trent University in England in 2019. 

For someone who wants to grow a career in fashion but doesn’t know where to start, Garby’s TikTok page is the place to be. Aside from sharing the latest news in fashion, he also gives career tips.

Garby held a livestream on TikTok recently to answer his followers’ burning questions about how to build their own careers.

A ton of experience in the fashion industry and going to fashion school is not necessary to get started, Garby shared.

“What you need to understand or look for is what sort of skills the job is looking for, and what sort of skills you already have,” he said.

Many entry-level jobs just want applicants to know how to write emails or use tools like Excel and Slack. You can gain these skills from joining clubs on campus or working retail jobs. Success in those experiences stand out to job recruiters.

“Data, numbers, facts. That’s what’s gonna sell you,” Garby said.

Fashion is also largely about connections.

Sending brief messages on LinkedIn to people who work at companies you’re interested in and inviting them to chat will make a newcomer stand out, he said. Direct messaging favorite editors at a publication to ask for feedback is valuable too.

Garby added that authentic networking connections are vital.

“Just be you,” he said. “Don’t be fake, because when you’re fake, people feel it, feel the energy.”

Garby and his fashion news series can be found on TikTok @bernardgarby.

Abigail is a sophomore journalism student at the University of Maryland. Outside of writing, Abigail loves fashion, food, coffee and photography.