This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

4 Simple Steps to Switch Up in your Skincare Routine for the Fall  

The fall season is upon us, and you know what that means! Time to pull out the sweaters, fall scented candles, spooky decorations, and pumpkin spice lattes. But did you know you should also be whipping out some different products to cater to the changing season? If you follow these tips and tricks your skin will be thanking you.  

Moisturizer

One of the most important pieces of your routine to swap out is your moisturizer. As the humidity and heat of summer slip away it’s going to start getting drier and colder. Which means you are going to need a moisturizer that’s up to the job. It’s best to opt for something more heavy-duty that will lock in the moisture you need. 

You can try Kiehl’s “Skin Rescuer” that promises long-lasting hydration as well as revitalizing tired skin. My personal favorite for moisturizer is the Belif Aqua Bomb which perfectly moisturizes your skin without feeling like you’re suffocating.

Photo by Julia Bischoff

Somebody lotion is also a great idea, and lucky for you Glossier has a wonderfully affordable option called the Glossier Body Hero. It promises to keep you feeling and looking dewy fresh all day!

Lip Balm

The same goes for your lips! You might have been able to get away without lip balm in the humid summer months, but as it gets drier you are definitely going to need some lip balm to keep those lips luscious! There are a variety of different products you can use ranging from average drugstore products to high-end products from well-known brands, but you can’t really go wrong with either. As long as your lips aren’t chapped, do what works for you!

My favorites are good-old ChapStick® Lip Balm and Aquaphor Lip Repair, but other good options you can try are Palmer’s cocoa butter or Smiths Rosebud Salve. 

Photo by the Julia Bischoff

Vitamin C

This is also a great time to start adding vitamin C to your regimen. Many dermatologists suggest serums, but it might not be a bad idea to take some supplements as well. Vitamin C helps boost your immune system, which might be especially helpful if you’re living in a dorm, in addition to it being flu season. Try something not too expensive to start out, as serums can be quite pricey. Luckily there are plenty of options! VitaminSea.beauty and Mad Hippie both have great, and decently affordable, serums if you are looking to try it out! If you want to try out some supplements, there are plenty at places like Target and Walmart which supply products like Emergen-C.

By Bruna Branco on Upsplash 

Face Masks

Everyone loves a good face mask, but in the winter your skin becomes so dry, it is better to opt for skin products that are not too harsh. This means using products that have gentler formulas that do not strip down or exfoliate, more than necessary. If you do want to use exfoliating masks it is better to use them, at most, once or twice a week. Some fun fall sheet masks can also totally get you in the fall spirit, like the Pumpkin 24K Gold Sheet Mask, which is also super affordable at only $8.

Photo by @facelogicspalasvegas courtesy of Instagram

So make sure to keep these tips in mind this autumn, and don’t forget about your skin’s needs amidst exams. Good luck and stay spooky!

Julia Bischoff

Maryland '23

Journalism major attending the University of Maryland in the class of 2023. Passionate about environmental science, nature, and art.