This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s officially FALL! Even though College Park is subjected to the unpredictable Mid-Atlantic weather, it’s a little colder, it’s getting darker earlier and classes are not slowing down anytime soon.  So here’s a fall playlist to help you study into the night or to motivate you as you face the cold walk to class in the morning.

‘Fake Love’ by Drake

Aubrey’s songs ruled the summer.  We all uttered the phrase “All Summer Sixteen” at least once. Riding the wave of Views, Drake dropped a trio of new songs during his OVOSound show on Beats 1. “Fake Love” is reminiscent of last fall’s “Hotline Bling,” with the island inspired R&B beat and Drake’s signature rap singing. Let Aubrey’s smooth vocals lamenting about  real love carry to class this semester.

Standout Lyric: “I’ve been down so long/it look like up to me”

‘Black Beatles’ by Rae Sremmurd ft. Gucci Mane

I actually never thought I’d put Rae Sremmurd on any playlist of mine, but this is a worthy exception. Although this Mike-Will produced banger was released in September, the song has hit it’s peak in the past few weeks, inspiring memes and influencing the Mannequin Challenge. Add in the recently released Gucci and the song is easily one of the best rap releases of the year. Expect to hear the song on every Saturday night Snapchat  story this fall.  

Standout Lyric: “That girl is a real crowd pleaser/Small world, all her friends know of me”

‘Slumber Party’ by Britney Spears

I would fail as a stan if I did not include a song from Britney Spears’ most recent release. The Queen’s album “Glory” has its share of potential hits, but “Slumber Party” is scheduled to be her next single, and deservingly so. Though her recent music has been characterized by EDM and pop, this song takes Brit’s signature pop vocal and puts it against an R&B track. The result is a standout single, maybe one of Britney’s best this decade. The infectious “go crazy” will be an earworm and make it the jam for a getting ready playlist.

Standout Lyric: “Put on our music that makes us go f****** crazy”

‘F.A.B.’ by Jojo ft. Remy Ma

Have you ever head “Too Little, Too Late” or “Leave (Get Out)” on a 2000s playlist and wondered what happened to Jojo? Well, the teenage standout was locked in a contract dispute with the label, making it impossible for her to commercially release music. But she’s back and still giving us a bop and beautiful vocal. “F.A.B” is an upbeat song about the haters of the world. Play this in the last stretch of your workout to gain that second wind to get ready to slay the fakes.

Standout Lyric: “Where were you when I needed you?/Tell me, where were you when I needed you?”

‘Closer’ by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey

Can we please let this one go? As much as it pains me to say, I couldn’t make a Fall playlist without including a song that has dominated the charts for 14 weeks.  The song has been labeled a millennial anthem, with the protagonists making some questionable choices like stealing their former roommate’s mattress.  But we’d all be lying if we didn’t give the song credit for being pretty good. So it’s okay to roll your eyes when it plays, but sure enough you’ll find yourself singing along.

Standout Lyric: “I know it breaks your heart/Moved to the city in a broke-down car”

Brooke Giles

Maryland '18

Brooke is from Clinton, Maryland and is a senior at the University of Maryland, studying Broadcast Journalism. A self-proclamied Pop Music enthusiast, she loves everything about music especially when it involves Beyoncé and hopes to work in radio or for a record company.