The Dos and Don’ts of Summer Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

DO:

Ease up on your foundation

Walmart $7.44

During the colder months, a full-coverage liquid foundation seems like a godsend but try to do that in the summer and you’ll notice your face will look extremely shiny and oily. Get a tinted moisturizer instead! Also, try to get something with SPF in it to protect your lovely face.

DON’T:

Cake on the bronzer

Walmart $10.77

Maybe you don’t have a beach super close by but you still want that summer glow; bronzer can be a nice way to get that sun kissed look without actually having to step foot into the sun, but make sure you use a light hand… you don’t want to look like Snooki.

DO:

Have fun with bright colors

Etsy $7.00

Bright colors are what summer is all about! Be a little daring and try experimenting with hot pink or coral colored lips. Or try out some turquoise eye shadow with a splash of gold liner! Have fun with it!

DON’T:

Skimp of the sunscreen

Ulta $10.99

You’ve heard it time and time again but everyone can use a little reminder every now and then! Going out without sunscreen can be disastrous for your skin both long term and short term! You’ll thank us when you’re not tomato-red and peeling a few days after your beach trip and when you don’t have skin cancer years from now! We love Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Suncreen! It’s oil free! 

DO:

Invest in water-proof mascara and eyeliner

Walmart $5.94

No one wants to walk out of the pool or ocean feeling super sexy and wet only to realize later that her eye make up is streaming down her face giving her that raccoon-look. Go for waterproof or go bare (it can’t be that bad!).

DON’T:

Forget to keep your feet looking sexy too

This is prime-time sandal weather ladies! Make sure your feet looking just as good as the rest of your bod! Take the time to schedule the appointment or if you don’t necessarily have those kinds of funds, just do them yourself!