yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

The Do’s and Don’ts of Pumpkin Spice Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

As if staying in shape at a school with more than 10 pizza places down Route 1 wasn’t hard enough, it’s now November and you know what that means… pumpkin spice EVERYWHERE!

How can you say no? Especially to a product that advertises itself as Limited Edition.

Some products can be okay and actually healthy, while others are just extra sugar and more fat, or just unnecessary to be added to that type of food.

Here’s your go-to-guide to pumpkin spice, the one’s to stay away from and the options to try instead!

1. Skip: Pumpkin Spice Greek Yogurt

You would think that this is healthy, because it’s yogurt and non-fat, but it’s actually artificially flavored and is waayyyyy too sweet

Instead try: Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Greek yogurt isn’t chalky or artificially flavored, and isn’t too sweet.

2. Skip: Pumpkin Spice flavored alcohol 

Talk about a bad hangover and SO much sugar. It’s not worth it believe me, the taste isn’t even that great! 

Instead try: A Pumpkin spice latte or coffee with skim milk! This is a healthier alternative. And if you want to pre-game pumpkin spice style add some plain vodka in it. It will keep you warm on your walk to the bars or Blue bus and you’ll avoid a terrible hangover.

3. Skip: Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese

The flavoring is super artificial, and the texture tastes too creamy, like peanut butter stuck to your tongue. It’s not worth the extra money for this horrible flavoring.

Instead try: Philadelphia brand Pumpkin Spice cream cheese, which could also serve as a topping for cakes and cupcakes!

4. Skip: Eggo’s Pumpkin Spice waffles

As amazing as Eggo waffles are these pumpkin spice waffles just taste like cinnamon. So, if that’s what you want by all means grab some!

Instead try: Thomas Pumpkin Spice bagels: Voted #1 Pumpkin Spice food by Pop Sugar. They are made with real pumpkin and real cinnamon (no artificial flavors) 

5. Skip: Pumpkin Spice Milano cookies

Milano never disappoints…except in the pumpkin spice case. This flavoring tastes more so like stuck together mush… really not appetizing

Instead try: Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake cookies (carried by Target or Walgreens), they have cream cheese frosting with a pumpkin-y crunch to them!

6. Skip: Pumpkin Spice Pringles

Does that even sound good? Salty and pumpkin???

Instead try: Pumpkin Spice Oreos, another brand name we know and love that actually makes sense. These Oreos pack together a cinnamon pumpkin spice taste between two golden graham Oreo cookies, yum!

7. Skip: Pumpkin Spice burgers

Which are actually made with pumpkin aoli and pumpkin spiced duck bacon… Bacon is just fatty and this combination together taste awful!

Instead try: A normal burger… There is no meat supplement that can have pumpkin spice and taste good, lets be honest.

So, next time you’re shopping and lured by all those pumpkin spice products, be wary!  Don’t buy a product just because it has this limited edition flavoring, but you’re feeling timid about that flavor combination. Make sure you really need it and if it’s actually tasty and (somewhat) good for you!

My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.