The Do’s and Dont’s For Getting Through Your Midterm Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s that time of year again; temperatures are starting to cool down, leaves are starting to fall and exams are starting to pile up. Yup, it’s midterm season.

No one enjoys taking exams, but these next few weeks don’t have to be extremely stressful. With these do’s and don’ts, you’ll be sure to get the grades you want without spending hours hitting the books!

Do: Get in touch with your professor

Talking to the professor in your 300-person lecture may seem intimidating, but they’re there to help you succeed. Asking a question after class about a problem you didn’t understand or going to office hours to discuss a section of the notes gives you a chance to get expert answers. It also gives an opportunity for the professor to get to know you, which can go a long way in the future.

Don’t: Skip your classes

The reasons not to go are so tempting: you’re too tired, it’s too early or you’re not going to do anything useful in class and you know the material. You may tell yourself you know the subject matter well, but skipping class is the easiest way to fall behind and miss something that could help you to do well on your exam.

Do: Take useful breaks

Marathon studying at McKeldin is tiring, and it’s hard to stay productive when you’re cooped up in a study cube for hours on end. Resist the urge to watch Netflix or spend an hour on Instagram or Facebook. Reward yourself with breaks that will keep you energized, like going for a nice run or doing some relaxing yoga.

Don’t: Rely on the answer key

When a professor gives you practice problems along with the answers, it’s so easy to look at a problem and assume you know how to do it when you see the answer. But relying on the solutions won’t earn you any points on the exam. Instead, write out and solve the review problems without the answer key and then compare your answers.

Do: Arrive early to your exam

Getting to the exam room early gives you time to decompress, review your notes and make sure you have everything you need to take your test. Running in late and flustered and looking for a seat gives you less time and makes you more stressed, so setting the alarm for a little bit earlier will be sure to pay off.

Don’t: Get too stressed

Stress can be a motivating factor, but don’t let the pressure of exams make you feel overwhelmed. Not getting a great grade is perfectly okay; it happens to everyone, and it’s not the end of the world. But if you’re calm, cool and collected, you’ll be even more likely to pass with flying colors.