Dorm Room Must Haves: Five Items That NEED to be on Your Packing List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s that time of year again; we’re preparing to say goodbye to our teary-eyed parents and getting ready schlep our stuff to school. You’ve reassured your mom for what seems like the twentieth time that you remembered to pack your shower shoes and Tide-To-Go pen. Scanning your packing list one last time, you confirm that you’ve got everything on it. There are, however, a few essentials missing from your list:

1: Command Products

Command hooks and strips are extremely useful when it comes to adding some personality to your room. They remove easily without leaving a mark, so you don’t have to worry about any rules regarding the holes that nails leave behind. You can use them to hang pictures, posters and towels. You name it; Command Products hang it. They can also be used to hang the likes of jewelry, keys, and coats, which will help utilize the small space of a dorm room. Command products can be found at a variety of locations including Target, Amazon, and most hardware stores. Bonus: they come in a multitude of colors and finishes to match your personal style.

2: Beach Towel

Now this may seem a little redundant considering you’re no doubt already bringing a set of bath towels, but having a beach towel can come in handy in a variety of situations. The first is pretty obvious: tanning. You’ll be lucky you have one when it starts to warm up outside in the spring and you and your friends want to lay out on Mckeldin Mall or at the pool at the ERC. The other reason might not be as obvious. If you’re clumsy spills are bound to happen. You can use your beach towel to clean up any messes with out having to worry about it being clean in time for your next shower. You can find theses cute towels at Tommy Hilfiger and ShopBop.com.

3: Reusable Water Bottle

Having a reusable water bottle is a great way to stay hydrated on the go.  You can bring it to class, to the gym, library, or anywhere else on campus. Drinking a lot of water can keep you feel full longer, which will keep you one step farther away from gaining the freshman fifteen (Or sophomore fifteen for that matter. Hey, those desserts at the South Campus diner are tempting regardless of what class you’re in).  Added bonus: it’s good for the environment! Camelback water bottles are probably the most commonly used on campus, but cute tumblers are often spotted too. So grab your favorite water bottle, and make sure it’s a cute eye-catching design such as your sorority, your Maryland school spririt, or a catchy slogan,  and stay hydrated!

4: Towel Wrap

Towel wraps are great for getting ready, whether that’s for class or for going out. You have a chance to do your hair and make up without having to worry about spilling on your outfit or your wet towel constantly falling off. It’s also a great excuse to slap another monogram on something else, and hey, who doesn’t love that? I will warn you, once you have a towel wrap you will lose any and all motivation to actually get dressed. Check out this cute customizable monogramed towel wrap from ThePinkMonogram.com:

5: Makeup Mirror

Having a mirror on your wall can be an essential time saver. You no longer have to lug your makeup, hair dryer, straightener, and endless beauty products to and from the dorm bathrooms every time you do hair and makeup. They are easy to hang (see Command Products) and are extremely convenient. Just be careful not to wake up your roommate in the mornings as you put on your mascara. This adorable mirror is a steal at only $16.99!

Bonus: Lilly Pulitzer Planner

This isn’t necessarily essential, but it’s a cute and trendy way to stay organized on top of your assignments. Even better, the new patterns just came out a few weeks ago! These planners that come in a variety of sizes can be found on LillyPulitzer.com. Once you buy one, you’ll want this awesome agenda for years to come! 

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.