DIY Spa Treatments Using Ingredients Right From Your Kitchen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Lets face it – as students paying thousands of dollars every year for our college educations, it is hard to find the time and/or money to pay for spa treatments. In fact, it may be the last thing on our minds. The good news is, however, that there are ways to give yourself spa treatments with ingredients found in your very own kitchen! Here are a few recipes for all parts of your body that will leave you feeling pampered without even leaving your home.

For the face:
Banana and Oatmeal Mask

The most beneficial mask you could use for your face is one that is made from natural ingredients like fruit and grains. What better combination than a banana and oatmeal one? Bananas and oatmeal restore moisture, exfoliate your pores, and fight acne. First step is to peel the banana and mash it up in a bowl. Second, add ½ cup of warm oatmeal and mix the two together. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then apply the mixture to your face evenly, leaving the mask on for 12-16 minutes. Rinse off with warm water and voila! Beautiful, moist skin in less than 20 minutes using ingredients found in your kitchen.

Avocado Mask

I love everything about avocados. They have amazing nutritional benefits, and are equally as great for your face. The deep penetrating oil that they contain is the key component of what makes using them the perfect ingredient for a facial mask. The potassium in an avocado also helps your skin maintain a pretty glow. The first step is to mash one avocado in a bowl, then add a tablespoon of honey. Next, add a tablespoon of plain yogurt, which helps bind the mask and acts as a cleanser for your skin. Once it’s all mixed, apply evenly to your face and leave on for 15 minutes, rinse with warm water, then pat and dry your face.

For the hair:
Mayonnaise Conditioner
Looking for a quick fix to help your dead and dry hair? As weird as it may sound, mayonnaise is actually a cheap and natural way to condition your locks. The three main ingredients of eggs, oil, and vinegar help to restore the moisture back into your hair. If you’re ever out of conditioner before a night out, don’t fret. Run to your fridge, apply the mayonnaise all throughout your hair, and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse and style hair like usual and be amazed by the results!

For the body:
Brown Sugar Body Scrub
There are plenty of natural ingredients one could use to make a product that is usable in the shower. Brown sugar is an ideal ingredient to use in a body scrub. All you need is ¼ cup of brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, and some olive oil. Pour the sugar and oil into a bowl until it is completely moistened, then stir in the honey. Keep the mixture in a jar so you can save some and get a few uses out of it. The scrub will leave your skin soft and smelling delicious.