DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you’re anything like the rest of the female population in college, you’ve either saved up your working money or set aside some serious funds for Halloween. With most costumes starting at $40, it is no surprise this holiday is one of the biggest moneymakers in our country.

The crazy part, however, is not the outrageous cost of costumes, but the number of costumes you can find in your own closet. Challenge yourself: this Halloween, you’ll save money and get creative.

The simplest way to spend your Halloween is to dress yourself as the oh-so-famous kitten, mouse or bunny. Throw on a little black dress and some inexpensive ears and you’ve got yourself a costume for under $10!

If you have an old leotard lying around, pair it with bright leggings, a crop top and a high ponytail and be and 80s workout instructor.

Remember that tie-dyed shirt you promised your friends you’d never wear again? Pull it out and wear it with ripped jeans, shades and a headband and you can be a flower child or a hippie.

Think theme parties: schoolgirl, nerd, jock, different decades or even Disney princess. Chances are, you or your friend has a plaid skirt and button down or an old school football jersey that would make for the perfect Halloween costume if done right! Pair it with cute heels, fun make-up and accessorize!

Think you favorite movies: A button down and shades from Risky Business, Thing 1 and Thing 2, a leather jacket and all black for 007, converse and high socks for Dazed and Confused… the possibilities are endless.