Ditching Your Summer Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s our “favorite” time of the year, back to school season. It is time to say good riddance to your summer jobs and your parents’ house and move back to College Park. But not everything is easy to leave behind us! We’re going to miss the beach, the weather, and of course the guys we’ve been hanging out with all summer. So here are some tips on how to let him down and move on with ease.

First of all don’t think it’s a coincidence that you started crushing on him in the summer. During these months guys aren’t so shy about showing off their “situations” and girls are strutting around in bikinis and short shorts. Attraction levels are very high and romance is all around us in a popular season for weddings and couples cuddling on the beach.

But all good things must eventually come to an end. Back-to-school season is back to reality and a lot of times romance just does not fit into that reality. Many people leave their crushes behind to free themselves up for cuties they might see at school, or to avoid the long distance relationship. There are plenty of reasons to cherish the moments for what they were and move on.

Junior communications PR major, Alexa Pierre enjoyed the time she spent with her crush. “I met my crush at home in New York at Pinkberry in the beginning of the summer,” Pierre said. “We went on cute summer dates and had a really good time.”

Pierre and her crush made a mutual decision to leave their romance in the summer. “By the end of the summer I was getting less interested,” Pierre explained, “I knew it wouldn’t last through school so we both agreed to cut it off.”

Mutual breakups at the end of the summer work the best, but both parties aren’t always in agreement. Some other options include keeping the crush in the summer and plan to revisit them next year, keeping in touch as just friends or slowly letting the relationship dissolve to avoid the goodbye. If all else fails, just sit him down and explain how things won’t be the same when the two of you are apart. Hopefully he will understand and respect your decision.

On the bright side, not all summer crushes have to be ditched. Some of us are lucky and found summer crushes that won’t be so far away. Senior mechanical engineering major Marlon Simpson is one of the lucky ones. He enjoyed the time with his summer crush and for him it doesn’t stop here.

He says, “I felt a lot closer to my girl during the summer, we had more time to kick it. There was no stress.” Simpson plans to keep the love alive with his summer crush turned girlfriend. “I know I have a lot more responsibilities and obligations now that we’re back in school,” says Simpson, “but I plan to make the effort so we can both still be happy.”

At the end of the day, happiness is the ultimate goal. If you can stay with your crush and be happy, do that. Otherwise, just think that come the end of the semester, you would much rather be hanging out with a new guy at Maryland than being stuck in your dorm Skyping from miles away.