This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

From living on Ramen noodles to scrounging up enough quarters for a load of laundry, college students are the ultimate cheapskates. Living cheap is one thing; however, looking cheap is another.

So how does one keep looking good a priority without breaking the bank? It takes some work, but thankfully, three University of Maryland fashionistas are willing to share their secrets of looking good while not breaking the bank.

Trendy Grunge

Name: Melissa Seitz
Major/Year: Journalism/Freshman
What she is wearing:
Sweater: Ralph Lauren, thrifted
Tights: Anna Sui, Rugged Warehouse
Shoes: Dr. Marten’s
Earring: Claire’s

Seitz rocks an oversized sweater with tights and boots for an early ‘90s grunge vibe. To achieve a look like Seitz’s, pair an oversized top, whether it be a sweater, denim top or band t-shirt with skinny leg jeans, tights or leggings and combat boots.

“I like this look because it is both unique and warm,” said Seitz, who prefers to wear this look for a day at the library or in class.

What she is wearing:
Top: Flannel, Goodwill
Skirt: Pac Sun (on super sale!)

Seitz modernizes a grungey flannel top with a floor length skirt for a mash-up of decades. How does she stay trendy on a budget?

“I do a lot of D.I.Y,” said Seitz. “When I get bored or something needs new life, I just break out the scissors and the dye.”

Seitz often cuts t-shirts and dyes lighter items to change up her wardrobe. Purposefully cut pieces provide the grungey vibe for a lot less than most typical stores. The best part? They are all your own.

College Prep

Name: Jessica Blum
Major/Year: Freshman, Government and Politics and Journalism
What she is wearing:
Denim top: BP, Nordstrom
Tank Top: J. Crew
Pants: J. Crew

Blum is dressed in hot pink pants, a polka dot tank and a chambray shirt for a modern preppy look. While her pants help her stand out from the crowd, the chambray top not only keeps her warm on breezy days, but also modernizes her look.

“I love this look because it combines two distinct styles,” said Blum.

Dress: Urban Outfitters
Necklace: Etsy
Shoes: Aerosoles

Here Blum sports a simply skater dress and two statement accessories. The smoking slippers add a nice print to the look and contrast nicely with her turquoise necklace, making this outfit perfect for a first date. So how does Blum stay cute without breaking the bank?

“I am the queen of sale shopping,” said Blum. “I never buy something for full price.”

Not to mention, Blum frequents websites like Etsy, where she can find knock-offs of her favorite designer pieces.

“I ask every store I shop at for a student discount,” said Blum. Her favorite discount to use is the 15 percent off that students receive at J. Crew.

New Bohemian

Name: Emily Singer
Year/Major: Freshman/Letters and Sciences
What she is wearing:
Top: Pac Sun
Shorts: Udelco (a New Jersey thrift shop)

Singer sports a summery blouse with cut-off shorts, making this look perfect for a summer music festival or just hanging out. Her look is beachy and bohemian, yet chic enough to wear to class on a hot day.

“I would wear this to class, or for a day out in the spring and summer,” said Singer of this versatile look.

Jacket: American Eagle, thrifted
Dress: Tilly’s
Hat: Target

Singer’s maxi-dress paired with her jean jacket makes this look perfect for a summer night on the beach. The right amount of hip comes from the hat, while Singer is still on trend with the flowy dress.

“I am really excited to wear this as a whole outfit, because I can dress it up with wedges, or down with a pair of cute flip flops,” said Singer.

Looking this hip does not mean paying a huge price.

“I spend time in thrift stores a lot,” said Singer. “However, I splurge on pieces that I know will last a long time.”

She recommends checking out thrift stores in the Washington, DC area, such as Buffalo Exchange or Junction, where pieces are both trendy and cheap.