“Cue” & A with Cue Sticks Creator and UMD Alumnus Nancy Shapiro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

On Cue Sticks:

Q. First, can you tell us a little bit about Cue Sticks?
A. Cue Sticks is a fun, unique brand that creates motivational products that inspire people when they need it most. Cue Sticks are daily reminders that come in the form of either a temporary tattoo or a sticker. They serve the purpose of a friendly, inspirational reminder to stick to your goals, whether it’s to stop procrastinating or to believe in yourself when you’re feeling less than confident. We make products that help people of all ages reach their goals … any time and any place.

Q. What’s the story behind the creation of Cue Sticks? Was it a sudden epiphany or a seed that developed over time?
A. I have always loved helping others.  As a child, I enjoyed playing school with my younger cousins and teaching them new things.  In high school, I wrote daily inspirational letters to my best friend who was dealing with an eating disorder.  And when my mom, at age 47, was diagnosed with colon cancer, I was there to encourage and support her in the battle any way I could.

Eventually I became an elementary school teacher.  It made me so happy to see the kids learn new skills and information that I taught them, and to come up with creative ways to make learning fun.

One day, a few years ago, after putting several sticky notes reminders around the house to help me remember my health and fitness goals, such as “Drink More Water” and “Move More”, I had an “aha” moment.  I thought that it would be great if the reminders were on temporary tattoos that I wore on my arm so I could see them anytime and anywhere I needed them.

I created a few temporary tattoo designs using supplies from the local craft store and wore them to help me reach my goals. They worked!  Soon my family and friends were asking to wear some, too, for times when they needed a little positive reminder to help them overcome a problem or help them accomplish their goals, whether it was for taking a test, learning to ride a bike, dieting, etc.  So I thought it’d be great to create a variety of them to help even more people….and Cue Sticks were born!

Q. What is Cue Sticks’ mission? Who would you say is your primary target audience?
A. Our mission is to provide anyone, from kids to adults, with a little bit of quick encouragement when achieving goals, facing a challenge or going through a difficult time.

Q. Do you think of all of the catchy phrases and words of encouragement yourself?
A. Yes I do, although I do get input from family, friends and Cue Sticks customers often, too.

Q. How has Cue Sticks grown since its launch?
A. In the beginning, we just sold our line of temporary tattoos and stickers at a local farmers market. Now Cue Sticks are sold through our website to individuals, teams, schools, camps, fitness facilities, support groups, hospitals and more! In addition to our temporary tattoos and stickers, we also now offer everything from journals & i-phone cases to pajamas & t-shirts on our Cafe Press site.

On UMD:

Q. What did you study at UMD? How has your degree informed later pursuits?
A. I earned my B.S. in Elementary Education from UMCP and earned my Masters at UMBC in Instructional Systems Design. After graduating, I taught 3rd and 4th grade in Baltimore County.

Q. What was your favorite and/or most memorable year at UMD? Why?
A. My most memorable year at UMD was my freshman year.  My father, sister, brothers and other members of my extended family were all alumni, so I was very happy to be attending UMD, too. It was exciting to be living on campus–South Hill’s Cecil Hall– for the first time, meeting so many different people from so many different places.

Q. Were you involved in any clubs or extracurricular activities on campus?
A. I was a member of Delta Gamma Fraternity.  Through this sorority, I made a lot of lasting friendships, experienced leadership opportunities, and participated in philanthropic activities, too, that provided a great foundation for life after college.

Q. Like the world around us, UMD is constantly changing. What is one of the most drastic changes that you’ve noted since you left the school?
A. When I return every year for Maryland Day with my family, it’s incredible to see all of the new buildings on campus that weren’t there 20 years ago. The most drastic change I noticed was with the interior of the Student Union.  The outside looks the same, but the inside is completely different.  There used to be a Roy Rogers and a fancy (for us) restaurant, “Where’s the Beef?” where we’d take friends at the end of the semester to use up dining card points.

Q. What was your favorite thing (or one of them) about the campus?
A. My favorite thing about the campus was the Mall with its open space and big trees. It was a great place to relax and have lunch between classes.

On Life:

Q. What are three words that you would use to describe yourself?
A. Creative—Peaceful—Loyal.

Q. When you need a good laugh, whom and/or what do you seek?
A. If I need a good laugh, I definitely go to my kids or husband. They always make me smile, and remind me to not take things too seriously when I’m feeling tense or stressed.

Q. What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
A. I love to bake anything…cookies, muffins, bread, etc….. with the kids.

Q. The power is out on that same rainy day. How do you make the best of it?
A.  I’d play some board games or read a good book.

Q. What is the most wonderful time of the year in your eyes?
A. I love autumn….colorful leaves, cool weather, apple & pumpkin picking, and campfires outside.

Q. What’s for dinner?
A. Good question! With food allergies and four different opinions, dinnertime isn’t always easy.

Read more about Cue Sticks at http://www.mycuesticks.com/. Cue Sticks is also on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.