CP’s 10 Staple Foods Every Student Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

1.    Bentley’s Crab Pretzel
Before coming to Maryland, I have to admit, I was not much of a crab fan. What I did know, however, is that I LOVE pretzels. So when I heard you could order a crab pretzel at Bentley’s, I knew I should give it a try. Served as a baked soft pretzel, smothered in melted cheese, crab dip, and old bay seasoning, this is one of those standard foods you have try before you graduate.

2.    Five Guys Burger
Even though competing Bobby’s Burger’s Palace just opened down Rt. 1, the main burger place of College Park will forever be Five Guys. What other place can you get a burger with an unlimited amount of free toppings for just $5.39? They tend to be big so the Little Hamburger option for just $3.79 is definitely a favorite. If the burgers don’t sell you, their fries will. “Best fries in College park, hands down,” said Allen Mata, sophomore public health major.

3.    Plato’s Greek Salad
Not only is Plato’s one of the only 24 hour food establishments in College Park, it is also arguably one of the best places to get greek food – particularly their Greek Salad. The portion is huge and abundant with feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, green pepper, pepperoni and cucumber topped with their own delicious Greek dressing. Grilled pita bread is provided on the side.

4.    Kiyoko’s Chicken Teriyaki Special
Kiyoko offers a box of teriyaki chicken, rice, and grilled vegetables all for just $6.99. And yes, I know it seems silly; what is so great about a box of chicken and rice? That is where the beloved shrimp sauce comes in. You have a choice of either that or ginger sauce, but trust me, go with the shrimp sauce. It’s a sort of tangy mayonnaise that blends perfectly with the chicken and rice. It won’t disappoint.

5.    Chipotle’s Burrito
This one really doesn’t need explanation, and is most likely the reason CP’s Chipotle has been one of the top grossing locations since 2003.

6.    Marathon Deli’s Gyro
If you’re sick of your typical sandwich from Potbelly’s or Jimmy Johns, spice it up a little and grab a gyro from Marathon Deli. For just $5.50, you can choose the traditional gyro with meat and lamb, chicken, or veggie. This is all combined with lettuce, feta cheese, tzatziki sauce, tomato, and spices in a warm pita. Make it a platter for just $1.90 more and get a side salad and fries to go with it.

7.    Potbelly’s Milkshake
One night my freshman year, my roommate and I were craving milkshakes, but being that we were new and knew nothing about where to get them, we aimlessly wandered Rt. 1 and stopped into Potbelly’s. Thank god we did. They offer vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and Oreo. Coffee-lovers: you need to try; I fell in love. They also attach two cute little sugar cookies to the straw, which complements the milkshake well.

8.    Shanghai’s Box
The Shanghai box is typically known as a late-night favorite. For just $10, you can fill a box with as much Chinese food as you can squeeze into the box they provide you. People go above and beyond with this; it’s great.

9.    Shanghai’s Crab Rangoon
Crab Rangoon is one of the options at Shanghai, and also something you could order by itself if you so choose. A lot of people are not sure what it is, so let me give you the run down. They are deep fried wontons stuffed with a combination of cream cheese, crab, and various seasonings. Deep-fried cheese? What is there NOT to love about that? The extra crispy wontons also are the perfect supplement.

10.The North/South Campus Diner’s Buffalo Chicken Wrap
I can honestly say this is the sole reason I miss having a meal plan on campus. It may be the crispy chicken, hot sauce, cheese, or combination of the three that makes this wrap one of the best buffalo chicken wraps I’ve ever had (and I’m an avid fan of anything buffalo flavored so that means a lot). Next time you’re eating on campus, you definitely need to give this a try if you haven’t already.