The Cover-Ups, The Lies, The Reality Of Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Another news headline revealing yet another woman who has allegedly been victim of sexual assault in the infamous Harvey Weinstein case.

According to The Guardian, more than 100 women have made allegations against Harvey Weinstein, including Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow. Weinstein hired private security to gather any and all information on the women involved and the journalists who were trying to expose the information. Weinstein did not just hire any private security. According to The New Yorker, Weinstein hired Kroll, one of the world’s largest corporate intelligence agencies.The investigators would disguise themselves as women’s rights advocates and secretly record meetings with the women to gather all the information they had on Weinstein. Other times journalists were directed to interview women and then report back to Weinstein. Meanwhile these women who finally gained the courage to share their stories in detail, were being set up and shut up once again.

Sophomore accounting and information systems major Lindsey Capitelli, had this to say about the sexual assault case: “It is not okay that men objectify women and make these women feel so intimidated that they can’t even come forward until someone else does first.”

Although Weinstein may have done much to keep the scandal quiet, The Weinstein Company’s board fired Harvey Weinstein after the reports and complaints surfaced. 

Lauren O’Connor, one of the victims stated in her memo, “I am a 28-year-old woman trying to make a living and a career. Harvey Weinstein is a 64-year-old, world famous man and this is his company. The balance of power is me: 0, Harvey Weinstein: 10.” 

“I think it’s really troubling when people in a position of power use that power to exploit people physically, mentally or in any fashion, but especially sexually. But I’m glad the victims finally spoke out and have received overwhelming support from the public,” sophomore journalism major James Mahoney said.

Sophomore journalism major Annie Archer had this to say: “To me it is interesting how the media can skew the news to either make it seem like it [rape] is not a big deal or they can suppress the event and place the blame on the victim.”