ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Could It Be A Summer of Love?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you’re like so many people in college, you’ve probably met some great people at school who you just don’t want to say goodbye come summer. But now, it’s that time of year as many of us are headed home for the summer. You may live far away, or you may live close by, but chances are you’re going to have to part ways with somebody come the end of finals. It’s easy to keep in touch with friends, and even visit them over the summer but in these last couple weeks you might be asking yourself what’s going to happen to your relationship with your significant other in the coming months.

Maybe you met someone you like, maybe you’re in the beginning stages of a relationship, or maybe you’ve been with your guy for a while now. In any case, it’s probably time to start thinking about how you’re going to manage your time apart this summer. Are you going to take a break, or go the distance?

If you’re in the beginning stages of a relationship, you should take a step back and see if you really envision a future with this guy. Could you picture getting into a serious relationship? If so, there’s no harm in taking it slow and continuing to talk throughout the summer. Don’t scare away a new potential relationship with a serious talk about “what you’re going to be” during the summer, just take it slow and get to know each other! Spending some time apart might be the perfect way to show both of you what you really want. If you continue to casually communicate once you’re home, then you might start to miss each other. Then, maybe a visit will come into the works later in the summer, and before you know it, it will be time to return to school excited to see your  beau. On the other hand, being apart might make you realize you don’t really miss the guy—nothing gained, nothing lost, so just enjoy your single summer!

As for those of you who are in a serious relationship, it’s probably a given that the two of you will stay together and try to arrange visits throughout the coming months. Even so, it can be a real bummer to think that your guy is no longer just a few minutes away when you want to just go out to dinner or snuggle and watch a movie. In this case, it’s important to remember that absence truly does make the heart grow fonder. As much as it sucks to miss your guy, it’s so exciting to plan fun visits to each other’s hometowns and think about when you’ll see each other next. In the meantime, just enjoy the time you have with your friends and family, and remember that missing each other isn’t all that bad! Plus, there’s always Skype dates when you need ‘em!

All that being said, the most important thing to remember is not to stress out over all of this. Being the intelligent college woman that you are, you’re probably spending your summer interning, working, or taking classes, so don’t let boy drama distract you! Summer is supposed to be relaxing, so don’t be afraid to just sit back and say, “Whatever happens, happens.” Whether you’re going the distance with your longtime guy, testing out the waters with someone new, or you’re making the decision to enjoy a single summer, make sure you have fun doing it!